Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Potentially moving to vancouver - opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nateetan, Dec 30, 2011.

1. nateetan

nateetan New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm a young professional currently researching Vancouver as a potential place to live next year. I was wondering if anyone could give me some starting points for research on different neighborhoods / nearby cities and towns and to help me figure out which would suit me best.

I guess to sum up my needs - Ideally I would like to live somewhere relatively rural and peaceful, but with easy access to the downtown area. (20-30 minute drive / train)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And also any opinions on the city would be awesome. Just trying to gather info right now.

Thanks!

2. Henry

Henry Junior Member

Living in Vancouver is expensive.. I hope you're prepared with some cash before coming. The further away you are the cheaper the houses get. For a drive about a hour away, you can get a dream house for a cheap price. The houses near downtown are probably 2-3x the price compared to the drive a hour away. The Transit here is a bit more complicated than other cities, but when you get use to it, it'll be a breeze.

3. bac

bac New Member

Hi, i'm planning to move to vancouver too in spring this year.

4. Zaiger

Zaiger New Member

For rural and peaceful you could do Langley. A little out of the way, but you're on the Freeway. Don't let anyone convince you to move to Maple Ridge: There's nothing to do and it's miles away from everything. North/West Van are expensive as all hell, but nice and not too far from civilization. Honestly, the way Vancouver is boxed in by mountains kind of limits your options, but if you can find the right place it's the best place to live.

5. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What ethnicity are you?

6. Dan

Dan Junior Member

".........The houses near downtown are probably 2-3x the price compared to the drive a hour away....."

Housing is cheaper the further away you get from the city of Vancouver , but not that cheap.

7. MooGooMouse

MooGooMouse Junior Member

Do lots of research over the internet & make a few visits to the area before you make any dicisions. Google Vancouver employment, Vancouver housing, Vancouver cost of living, etc. Get a concept of what's available compared with what you want.

8. APReal

APReal Junior Member

How rural and peaceful are you looking to go?
    As a young professional, are you a bit of a home body? or still like to go out and socialize a fair bit? Also, are you going to be wanting to meet a lot of new people being new to Vancouver?

Depending on how you answer these, I'd suggest anywhere from North Van to Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Moody, or further out to Langley or Maple Ridge if you're really wanting rural and peaceful. But those will not be conducive for coming into downtown very often.

9. simplicity

simplicity New Member

anyone knows about vancouver vs toronto? i live in toronto right now... would van be a good move in terms of employment, standards of living, etc.

10. MooGooMouse

MooGooMouse Junior Member

I don't think so. Both Toronto & Vancouver are the highest populated cities in Canada, so the competition for jobs & housing is just as rough. You'd be better off checking out a less crowded area.

11. milquetoast

More jobs in Toronto IMO just because industries are more developed back east. There's generally more to do in Toronto, so some people do find Vancouver boring depending on the type of activities they enjoy.

Both TO and Vancouver are multicultural cities, but ethnic diversity is much greater in the TDot. There's different types of multiculturalism as well depending on how integrated vs distinct visible minorities are (Neapolitan ice cream vs. trail mix analogy).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tl;dr - people come to Vancouver for the outdoors, scenery & weather rather than job opportunities.

12. mission

mission Full Member

I agree. More jobs in Greater Toronto than Vancouver. Most corporate headquarters in Ontario.

It is not just Toronto, a lot of jobs in surronding cities like Mississauga, Hamilton, London, Kitchener, Guelph, Waterloo, Markham, Oshawa etc.

13. APReal

APReal Junior Member

If jobs are what you're after, Calgary is the place to go.
    Highest wages in the country and 2012 is looking like a busy year for their economy.

14. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Well... What can I tell you... I've lived south of the city for over 40 years... Yes, most areas can be a little pricey, but if you do some research, you can find some affordable places...

If you are looking for some rural/semi rural places, you might consider Delta (South of the city), Surrey/south Surrey/Cloverdale, Langley, or even Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge... There are some rural parts to Richmond and even Burnaby too...

- North Surrey (south-easterly from the city) is linked into Vancouver with a SkyTrain(Subway) system... the ride from one end to the other is about 40 minutes...
    -Richmond (south of Vancouver) also has the Canada Line (Subway) into downtown, and that takes about 25 minutes form one end to the other...
    -Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge does have a rush hour commuter train into downtown. 5 westbound a.m. trips, and 5 eastbound p.m. trips, approx 45 minutes each way... (I happen to work for one of the Public Transit providers: city buses)... For all transit information, check out www.translink.ca or you can ask me directly...

For those who don't already know: There are 22 seperate cities and municipalities that make up "Metro" Vancouver... You can go to www.metrovancouver.org for some information on the area as well as some housing options too... City of Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Richmond, West Vancouver, city & district of North Vancouver, Lions Bay, Bowen Island, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore, Belcarra, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, White Rock, township of Langley, district of Langley, Delta & UBC...

You might like to know that as many of the "regional" bridges (and tunnels I guess) get upgraded or replaced, ROAD TOLLS are the new norm! There is the newer Golden Ears bridge that runs between Langley & Maple Ridge, and it is a toll bridge!!
    The replacement bridge for the very busy Port Mann bridge between Surrey and Coquitlam will be tolled once it's open!
    The planned replacement for the aging Patullo Bridge might also be tolled (10 years from now)...

cheeseshredder likes this.
  15. Kevin2345

Kevin2345 Guest

After 1.5 year I just want to relocate from Vancouver to Toronto:)
    Well, great Vancouver area is beautiful, but it's the end. It seem that there are many jobs here, but not for "foreign" peoples. The only thing which works here is the "networking". I think that the workplaces are totally "sick". Under qualified peoples are in well paying positions and talented peoples are unemployed or working for minimal wages somewhere. There is no healthy competition for jobs.

The presence of Asian people are very strong, especially the Chines ones. It seems to me that they "help" each other with good positions. There are many Chines people in key HR positions here.

I do not know too much about Toronto, but I would not come to BC again.

16. Captzee

Captzee Junior Member

Please please do not move here and especially to Langley. Our poor community in Langley is running rampant with greedy developers who are destroying the way of life we have enjoyed here for so many years. This whole selling our Province to the world has been a grave mistake and it has made our housing only available to the rich off shore buyer. It is disgusting how the power people treat the citizens of this country. The Vancouver area is now an over crowded, traffic infested, overly priced city. Something were not use to and we don't like. The ethnics who come here are used to living in such populous areas they can't get away from each other find it a relief and are moving here in droves thanks to the irresponsible promotion and liberal immigration policies. There has got to be away of motivating some brilliant minds and putting together an organization to de-promote our once beautiful city and get people to LEAVE

17. milquetoast

^You're treading dangerous water with that "ethnics" comment. Local greed is arguably the main driving factor.

I hate how there is no real concrete data on how much of an effect foreign buyers are having on real estate prices. But then again, how do you define foreign? Absentee landlords? Immigrants?

I've only been hearing anecdotal evidence supporting the "mainland china hypothesis". Either way, I would argue that MUCH of the problem lies in LOCAL "investors" who are speculating on the market and taking advantage of low interest rates.

If you wait long enough, a housing crash will come. Canada is no different than other countries(US, Australia, Britain, etc.), despite what locals claim. The economic climate now is eerily similar to the the one prior to the US crash.

18. ema

ema Full Member

Simple solution to your problem. You move lol.