Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Phthalates...toxic chemicals that soften plastic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Oct 5, 2016.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

https://www.davidwolfe.com/19-synthetic-chemicals-linked-cancer-autism/?platform=hootsuite

"The Breast Cancer Fund lists avoiding synthetic fragrances as one of the top ways to help prevent breast cancer. Many synthetic scents are hormone disruptors. A group of chemicals known as phthalates have been linked to cancer, endocrine disruption and developmental toxicity. These synthetic fragrances are commonly used in cosmetics and household products."

Here’s how these 19 commonly used chemicals affect the body:
    1. Acetaldehyde – Negatively impacts the kidneys, nervous system and respiratory system. Has been labeled “potentially carcinogenic to humans.’
    2. Benzophenone – Disrupts the endocrine system and is linked to liver tumors.
    3. Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) – Disrupts the endocrine system and is listed as a carcinogen under California’s Prop 65.
    4. Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) – A known skin and eye irritant.
    5. Benzyl Salicylate – A known allergen.
    6. Benzyl Benzoate – Exposure to this chemical can burn or irritate the genitalia and scalp.
    7. Butoxyethanol – Exposure to this chemical can lead to blood in the urine, vomiting and nausea. It can also cause long-term damage to the kidneys, liver, lymphoid system, nervous system respiratory system and blood cells. It’s also a skin, eye, nose and throat irritant.
    8. Butylphenyl Methylpropional – This chemical can cause skin inflammation and itchiness.
    9. Chloromethane – This chemical can have acute and chronic effects on the nervous system. It can also negatively effect the liver, kidneys and skin.
    10. Dichloromethane – This chemical is linked to tumors in the mammary gland.
    11. Diethyl Phthalate – This chemical irritates the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. It is also linked to nervous system damage.
    12. Formaldehyde – As a known human carcinogen, this chemical is banned in cosmetics and toiletries in both Japan and Sweeden.
    13. Oxybenzone – This chemical accumulates in the blood, kidneys and liver, and it may be toxic to liver cells.
    14. Porpylparaben – This chemical is linked to breast cancer.
    15. Resorcinol – This chemical affects the functioning of the liver, kidneys and spleen. It also negatively affects the cardiovascular system and the nervous system.
    16. Styrene – When inhaled, this chemical is toxic to the central nervous system, the red blood cells and the liver.
    17. Synthetic Musks – This chemical is linked to hormone disruption, reproductive development and organ damage. It can build up in breast milk.
    18. Titanium Dioxide – As a possible human carcinogen, this chemical is linked to lung and respiratory system damage.
    19. Dioxane – This is a common by-product that is a possible carcinogen.

Hidden Chemicals
    According to the Campaign for Safer Cosmetics, more than 95% of shampoos, conditioners and styling products contain fragrance as an ingredient. That’s not all. Toxic chemicals hiding under the term fragrance can be found in:

• Lotions
    • Hair products
    • Scented candles
    • Dryer sheets
    • Laundry detergents
    • Household cleaners
    • Makeup
    • Air fresheners
    • Scented plug-in’s
    • Deodorant
    • Scented Soap
    • Sunscreen
    • Perfume and cologne
    Sources:
    Dr. Axe
    Toxics Info
    New York Times
    Breast Cancer Fund
    Dr. Axe
    Neurotoxins: At Home And The Workplace

3. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Be careful ladies...bought one of those 'menstrual cups' that claims to be made only of medical grade silicon and it wreaked of chemical plastic toxins. It made me sick to my stomach just to have it near my face.

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

bump. These chemicals damage your kidneys.

5. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

I never buy water, I use a ceramic filter pitcher or filtered water at the office. I use a stainless steel container for carrying water around. For breaking down powders for smoothies, I use BPA free Shaker Cups.

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

7. flutterby

flutterby Active Member