Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Pets Owners, No More Shit Please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elba, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Elba

Elba Guest

hi, this is for all of you to learn how pets affect evryone's health, I wanted to tell you that excrement and urine from dogs is dangerous and is an attack on those who don't like pets, people that doesn't like pets are usually more clean and self conscious than pet owners, is a good read and I think that the number of pest should be restricted, when I go to that park the shit and urine smell is unbearable.

igor, Cookie-Monster and the mechanic like this.
  2. Mr. Large

Mr. Large Guest

is pathetic to see who some kiss their pets, sometimes I think they are capable of eating dog shit.
    But yeah this is a Public health hazard and should be addressed, I just hope that the bylaw officers are not too busy eating donuts (some with microscopic particles of dog shit):facepalm:

igor likes this.
  3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Are you the one poisoning dogs and setting up traps in our local parks?

4. Brent71

Brent71 Guest

I think that You are out of line here, making wild accusations to anyone who practice freedom of speech, You are a terrorist and You are trying to intimidate those who speak up against the unsanitary dog owners who don't clean after its dogs. already the smell in the whole city is like shit and pee and all this come from dogs. as I said You are a terrorist making accusations like You do is slander and has legal consequences.
    You want to silence those who are not happy with desease, those poor guys speaking up for a clean city accused of being criminals I find that utterly irresponsible and You should be banned from this forum.

We all care about our health but dog owners are willing to kill you because for them Your life is worth nothing and that is terrorism.

igor and the mechanic like this.
  5. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i agree with you, Brent71. milquetoast's comment is offensive ...

igor likes this.
  6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

There are a lot of dogs here in Van city and N America as a whole! I like dogs but I can't afford one, nor walk one plus the horse meat in dog food really affects me morally. Maybe some parks should be dog parks only?.........wasn't it Coquitlam asking residents now to flush animal waste now? Like we need this in the ocean?

7. chrissy

chrissy Full Member

Is there no fine for dog fouling in your Country ? In the UK its a fixed penalty of £75 if caught or reported, also dogs are not aloud on our beaches certain months of the year because of this problem .

8. milquetoast

@chrissy, we do have fines and restrictions.

Either way, I apologize for my earlier comment @Elba. It was meant to be a joke and not taken seriously.

FYI: Elba, Mr. Large, and Brent71 are aliases for one of the users of this forum. He or she posts fanatical rants, often relating to Christianity and then uses guest accounts to support their position. It's been proven by moderators in the past. The mods have told them to stop but seem to be tolerating their behaviour now.

honeycomb likes this.
  9. Brent71

Brent71 Guest

You are saying that to discredit Me and to justify You attitude, If a moderator see You post with this continuation of slander, please speak up and confirm who is wrong.
    The fact of the matter is that You are wrong making those accusations and now You want to retaliate in a distracting way, what You said about those folks is reckless and if they speak in favour of a religion whichever it is, that is their privilege, everyone is entitled to give an opinion, furthermore this forum is for socializing and share with the community about different issues, now I ask You "milquetoast" do You hate Christians...? You must know that in Canada the Charter of rights and freedoms give Canadian Citizens the right to practice any religion We chose, and is a crime to persecute, judge or hate a person for that.
    so answer the question; why do you hate Christians...? and because of You hate you give Christians an ill treatment and verbal abuse...?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
  10. Brent71

Brent71 Guest

Thank You "mechanic" that person must be an irresponsible dog owner who is setdfast to acuse other in an incriminatory manner to distract people of the issue, I am tired of be subjected to dog shit, is a health hazard a crime against other residents, there is desease everywhere and we need more bylaw officers to do their job and issue hefty fines to irresponsible dog owners and restrictions on parks must be put in place ecencially in parks where people go for luck and have a good time without the offensive smell coming from dog shit and urine.

the mechanic likes this.
  11. Flatulence

Flatulence Guest

I don't know if my answer will be publish, i am just passing by this forum, but yes the overpopulation of dogs is unbearable in Van City and creates a lot of deceases, one of those is hepatitis because dogs carry that bacteria and some dog owners kiss or eat from the same bowl or plate.
    Some dogs wonder in pick nick areas and spread the viruses, I think dog owners should be more considerate.
    By the way, the system didn't allow my name as a guest so you will excuse me for the flatulence (it means fart but with a more glamorous name)

12. milquetoast

Hepatitis is most commonly caused by viruses.

It's true that pets can spread diseases (zoonoses), but it's totally being overblown in this thread. You are more likely to get ill from other people. Worry about the people around you who don't wash their hands.

13. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... this thread strikes home with me too. not so much regarding dog waste but rather how most of the dog owners where i live don't confine their dogs to their yards, they just let them roam free ...

... in most cases this is fine, but i occasionally find myself getting confronted by excited, yappy canines. happened today as i was walking up my driveway as a matter of fact. so i would have to agree, dog owners need to be more responsible with their pets ...

14. milquetoast

I agree as well, but disease transmission is not at the top of the list for reasons why pet owners need to be more responsible with their pets.

15. igor

igor Junior Member

Nothing is been blown out of proportion, You are misleading people and lying, You should be more responsible!

A zoonosis (pl. zoonoses) is a disease occurring primarily in animals (usually mammals), but that can occasionally be transmitted to humans. Many zoonoses are caused by viruses. Some are extremely dangerous and even fatal, whereas others can resolve with little or no therapy. One of the most dangerous zoonosis in the world is rabies, a viral disease causing acute infection of the central nervous system. Five general stages are recognized in humans: incubation, prodrome, acute neurologic period, coma, and death. Rabies occurs in nearly all countries. Disease in humans is almost always due to a bite by an infected mammal. Nonbite exposures (e.g., mucosal contact) rarely cause rabies in humans. Early diagnosis is difficult. Rabies should be suspected in human cases of unexplained viral encephalitis with a history of animal bite. Unvaccinated persons are often negative for virus-neutralizing antibodies until late in the course of disease. Virus isolation from saliva, positive immunofluorescent skin biopsies or virus neutralizing antibody (from cerebrospinal fluid, or serum of a non-vaccinated patient), establish a diagnosis.

Lymphocytic choriomeningitis is a flu-like disease caused by lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus that can be transmitted through bites. Hidden infection has been found both in dogs and humans. The disease has two stages. In the first stage, headaches, sneezing, bronchitis, and fever are generally seen. After a short recovery, central nervous system signs may appear, which include stiffness of the neck, severe headaches, nausea, and confusion. Meningencephalitis orencephalomyelitis may follow with or without paralysis. Recovery make take weeks. Nipah virus is a newly recognized zoonotic virus that was discovered in 1999. It has caused disease in animals and in humans and is transmitted through contact with infectious animals. The virus is named after the location where it was first detected in Malaysia. It is believed that certain species of fruit bats are the natural hosts of Nipah virus. The onset of the infection is usually with "influenza-like" symptoms, with high fever and muscle pains. The disease may progress to inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) with drowsiness, disorientation, convulsions and coma. Fifty percent of clinically apparent cases die.

Another group of zoonoses is caused by bacteria. Rickettsiae are small microorganisms that have evolved in such close association with arthropod hosts that they are adapted to survive within their host cells. Rickettsioses are zoonoses that, except for Q fever, are usually transmitted to humans by arthropods, such as tick, mite, flea, louse, and chigger. Therefore, the geographic distribution of zoonoses is determined by that of the infected arthropod, which for most rickettsial species is the reservoir host. Rickettsiae are important causes of human diseases in the United States (Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Q fever, murine typhus, sylvatic typhus, human monocytic ehrlichiosis, human granulocytic ehrlichiosis, and rickettsial pox) and around the world (Q fever, murine typhus, scrub typhus, epidemic typhus, boutonneuse fever, and other spotted fevers). The tick-borne relapsing fevers and Lyme disease are zoonoses with rodents as the major reservoir. Their incidence and distribution depend mainly on the biology of the tick vectors. Areas known to harbor infected ticks and lice should be avoided. No vaccines are available. Tetracycline is an effective treatment.

A number of bacterial zoonoses are transmitted to people by dogs. Bordetellosis is caused byBordetella bronchiseptica bacterium. B. bronchiseptica is a frequent cause of bronchopneumonia in animals that may generate infectious aerosols. Fever, abdominal pain, watery or bloody diarrhea, occasionally chronic colitis, and arthritis are seen. The disease can be transmitted from infected animals to humans by infected droplets. In dogs the bacterium causes kennel cough, whereas the human illness can range in severity from mild respiratory symptoms to pneumonia; carrier state may exist.

Brucellosis is a true zoonosis in that virtually all human infections are acquired from animals. It is caused by Brucella bacterium. Human brucellosis is either an acute febrile disease or a persistent disease with a wide variety of symptoms. In the simplest case, the onset is influenza-like illness with fever reaching 101 to 103 degrees F. Limb and back pains are unusually severe, however, and sweating and fatigue are common symptoms. If the disease is not treated, the symptoms may continue for 2 to 4 weeks. True relapses may occur months after the initial episode, even after apparently successful treatment.

Campylobacter enteritis is a diarrheal disease caused by Campylobacter bacteria. Dogs frequently become carriers of this organism and show no signs of the disease. Dogs recently adopted from shelters often serve as sources of human infection. Intermittent diarrhea may persists for months.

Leptospirosis is a potentially fatal bacterial disease that damages the liver and kidneys of dogs and humans. It is caused by Leptospira bacteria. It occurs worldwide and affects humans and animals. The bacteria are spread through the infected urine and can survive in water and soil for weeks to months. Humans and animals can become infected through contact with contaminated body fluids (except saliva), water, or soil. Get your pet vaccinated against leptospirosis.

Disseminated infections with Pasteurella multocida can lead to septic shock, meningitis, endocarditis, and other severe illnesses. Most human infections with Pasteurella multocidaoccur as localized abscesses of the extremities or face as a result of cat or dog bites. These abscesses require surgical drainage.

Salmonellosis occurs as (1) gastroenteritis, (2) septicemia, or (3) enteric fever. The severity of the infection and whether it remains localized in the intestine or disseminates to the bloodstream may depend on the effectiveness of the patient's immune system and the virulence of theSalmonella bacteria. Signs may include fever, loss of appetite, headache, muscle pain, andconstipation. Gastroenteritis (food poisoning) depends on the number of bacteria. Symptoms usually begin 6 to 48 hours after ingestion of contaminated food or water and usually take the form of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Enteric fevers are severe infections and may be fatal, if antibiotics are not promptly administered.

Dogs can be infected and transmit protozoan parasitic diseases. Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis) is caused by the Trypanosoma cruzi parasite. The disease is transmitted by cone-nosed bugs and may also be transmitted congenitally and by blood transfusion. Dogs are reservoirs of the infective parasite.Symptoms of acute disease may include fever, inflammation of lymph nodes, increased heart rate, heart enlargement, and myocarditis. Megaesophagus may develop in some cases. Giardiasis is a long-lasting, intestinal protozoal infection caused by species of Giardia. The infection can cause a variety of intestinal symptoms, which include diarrhea, gas or flatulence, greasy stools that tend to float, stomach cramps, upset stomach, and nausea. Leishmaniasis is a disease that is transmitted by sandflies and caused by intracellular protozoa of the genus Leishmania. Dogs act as parasite reservoir for humans. Human infection is caused by about 21 of 30 species that infect mammals, including dogs. There is no vaccine for this disease, which can rapidly lead to death if no treatment is given.

Domestic and wild animals are important reservoirs for parasitic worms. Coenurus cerebralisinfection has been observed as a common and worldwide problem of small ruminants. Dogs being definitive host of Taenia multiceps play an important role in spreading the disease. Occurrence of coenurosis cysts in brain, spinal cord and in other tissues have been noticed in a wide range of animals such as sheep, goats, cattle, horse, buffalo, camel and yak. Diphyllobothriasis (fish tapeworm infection) is a disease caused by the cestode worm Diphyllobothrium latum, the largest cestode worm of humans measuring 5 to 10 m in length. Signs may include megaloblastic anemia as the parasite competes with the host for B group vitamins, and neurologic disorders. The adult parasite can survive in its host for 35 years. Echinococcosis is a zoonotic infection caused by the larval stage of the tapeworm Echinococcus. Two of the recognised species, E. granulosus and E. multilocularis, are of importance for humans. Infection is acquired through ingestion of parasite eggs released in feces of the host (a carnivore or a rodent) bearing the adult worm in its gut. Dirofilaria immitis (the dog heartworm) is a worldwide filarial parasite of dogs. Adult worms (up to 30 cm long) usually are located in the dog's heart. In heavy infections, or when adult worms die, the parasites may be carried to the pulmonary vessels where they may produce clogs. Larvae of other Dirofilaria spp. that parasitize lower animals occasionally may be found in the skin or eyes of humans.

Gnathostoma spinigerum is a nematode that resides in the stomach wall of dogs and cats. Most human infections occur in Thailand and other Asian countries. Infective larvae develop in copepods and are transferred through the food chain. Human infection results from consumption of improperly cooked fish or other food containing infective larvae. The larvae migrate in the tissues and may invade the eyes, brain, and other organs. The larvae may cause eosinophilic meningitis. The immature worm may be recovered from subcutaneous nodules. Cutaneous larva migrans (creeping eruption) is a dermatitis caused by the larvae of Ancylostoma braziliense, the dog and cat hookworm, which penetrate human skin and migrate to the underlying tissue.Ancylostoma caninum and other species of hookworms also can cause this infection.Strongyloidiasis is caused by Strongyloides stercoralis worm. Signs include pneumonitis, epigastric pain, and diarrhea. In immunocompromised individuals worms may spread to other organs and cause autoinfection. Infection can range from asymptomatic to multiorgan failure. The mortality rate for patients requiring hospitalization with Strongyloides infection is 16 percent. In disseminated strongyloidiasis, the mortality rate can be as high as 70-90 percent. Infection may most frequently initially occur in childhood, as children are most likely to play outdoors in contaminated soil. Pentastomid infection is caused by Linguatula serrata (tongue worms). It is transmitted through eggs in feces or nasal discharge from infected dogs. Signs of infection in humans include irritation of throat and nose, vomiting, tearing, difficulty breathing, and headache. Signs in dogs are excessive nasal discharge and sneezing.

References
    1. Medical Microbiology. The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
    2. Rhinosporidiosis. Robert Rivard, MD, Infectious Disease Fellow, Department of Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center
    3. Strongyloides Stercoralis. Emily Anne Carpenter Rose, MD, Fellow in Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Loma Linda University

16. milquetoast

Uh, do you want me to list all the diseases you can catch from humans?

I'm not saying that you can't catch diseases from pets. I'm saying you're overstating the risk. Listing the different diseases that you can catch tells us nothing about prevalence and rate of transmission.

17. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Dog owners: do you find you get sick more often after your dog frolics with other dogs ie at a Dog Park? Does your dog get sick after frolicking with other " stranger" dogs at a park?

Do you limit or restrict stranger dog socialization for this reason?

Can a human contract Hepatitis from her dog who has contracted it from a " stranger" dog at a public Dog Park?

18. Dog Owner

Dog Owner Guest

Yes, I am considering to destroy My dog, since I have it I been sick all the time, once I get out off one infection I get a new one. I just leaned that You ca get Hepatitis C from a dog or cat.