Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Parents who dont like themselves

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Dec 29, 2013.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

one of the paradoxes of having parents who dont like themselves is its hard for rhem to like their kids when they remind them of themselves ....lolol

my parents were like this. they were so obsessed with the north american "individuality" kick, that they couldnt see that i was just like them in so many ways......i dont know why this was such a surprise to them. they needed me to be this 'other'. we raised you to be an individual, which means unique, uh, unlike us. how weird......and funny. they raised me with "you are your own person" blah blah....they meant well. but in fact i am very much like them.

the mechanic likes this.
  2. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

I agree that some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate-see examples of it on the internets every day.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... the way you describe them they sound kinda like hippies, flutterby. but they can't be as bad as you describe them. surely they meant well ...

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

its an observation, not a criticism.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Yup, if parents dont like themselves they cant help but be disappointed when the kids turn out just like them.......lolol

the mechanic likes this.
  6. Cindi Augustine

Cindi Augustine New Member

I think perhaps a lot of parents invest so deeply in the idea that their children are going to BE better, DO better and HAVE better lives than they did. Sometimes having children carries a partial agenda of wanting to make up for what people wish their parents had done.

the mechanic likes this.