Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech My ipad became obsolete today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Nov 2, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

So i have a first generation ipad. It crapped out on me last night. It was restored by an old PC which thanfully housed a back-up. However, i lost all my apps in the process. Itunes keeps a record of all your purchased apps so i just went there and tried to download them all again. Big surprise though: many, if not all of these apps have suddenly been upgraded to a much more recent ie newer ios meaning that i can no longer run them on my old ipad - i would have to buy a new one to be able to run these apps. Co - incidence?

Even CBC radio now demands an ios 8 to run their app. Same with Netflix. I was running it on this old ipad just fine till my ipad stopped last night and now even that is demanding ios 8.

Was my ipad made obsolete last night?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

My friend who has a 8 yr old PC runs Netflix just fine....no app. Same with Google Chrome. I can no longer download it, even tho i was using it just fine 2 days ago. My friend's old PC uses Google Chrome no problem.....no app.

3. Henry

Henry Junior Member

I'm not sure about Ipad's but for Androids you can download APK files of older versions. Try searching for files online

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Well if Android is like PC, then you dont need an app to download from Google but with ipad you do. Apps are not an option with ipad it seems, but a necessity. Even the free apps are not free if your ios is made obsolete. The CBC radio app is free to download, you just need to buy a new ipad to download it. Way to make our Public Radio accessible to the middle class and higher. Maybe i should shop around for an old PC.

5. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

You can restore the old working versions of your app if they were backed up onto iTunes: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/reinstall-older-ver-apps-iphone/
    You can also search online for older versions of apps. The files will have an .ipa format which you can transfer from your computer to your tablet. The second option is a bit more technically challenging to do.