Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Minimizing Is Canadian Pathology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Mar 29, 2015.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

So my friend asks me if I have seen the pictures of the plane that 'missed the runway' in Nova Scotia. I say no, but how bad can it be?

Then I see the dented wing, the engine that is facing backwards, and the nose that is missing. This is typical Canadian pathology of minimizing to the point of outright deception.

How can people be expected to get mentally healthy, growing up in a dysfunctional family, only to have the stark, ugly reality face them that the society at large is pathological. This is the way the media have described it: 'the plane skidded off the runway'....that's it. No dented wing, etc, etc.

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

You know, Canadian society may have inherited the ugly characteristic of minimizing and 'downplaying' from the British, but the British have left that pathology for at least 20 years now. Why is it still so prevalent in our society?

3. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

It isn't and it didn't miss the runway-it ended up there so how could it have missed it?

Setting down too early and missing are two different occurrences-the plane is damaged but no one was hurt so it's something of a non-event.

Some would say that buying into hysterical media hype is an indication of an empty personal life-that's common in other countries but not so much here.

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

5. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... excellent observations, flutterby. you are so right!

... while i think you're bang on, that canadians, and british columbians in particular, have a tendency to downplay things, what you're really talking about is a problem with the news media. what it boils down to is this: the news media is producing all-out propaganda on behalf of the government, thus it will whitewash, if not censor altogether, anything that is damaging to the crown ...

... this plane crash in halifax is EXTREMELY damaging to the government, considering it supposedly regulates that industry, thus you get reporting that deemphasizes the seriousness of the circumstances. in fact, on a newscast i heard last night they actually claimed that air travel is the safest form of transportation available. i call total bullshit on that garbage ...

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I guess they had a little 'ground turbulence'.

7. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

Four days later and who even remembers this happened?

Why?

Because no one was injured-it's all just paperwork now.