Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech MACBOOK FANS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ema, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ema

ema Full Member

Hi there,
    I've been searching around on how to take the cover off of my Macbook so that I can clean the fans since there's no other way really. (It's the older version of the macbook pro with a complete aluminum body)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

You sort of have to disassemble your macbook, which I wouldn't recommend if you're not having problems. It's pretty easy to break things when you take them apart (I'm well versed in this).

But if you're still eager, there are some great guides online (one of the benefits of Apple having such a loyal fanbase).

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Model-A1151-Lower-Case/337/1

Videos: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/mac-repair.php

This sounds stupid, but computer enthusiasts swear by it... Is there a way to attach a piece of pantyhose to the macbook, as a dust filter?

3. ema

ema Full Member

LOL, I really don't know.
    I seriously can't see any vents except the ones in the back. Was talking to my friend and he said to do the compress air or canned air to clean it.

4. milquetoast

Yeah that might work, but it might blow the dust into worse spots, laptops are so troublesome. Just don't use a vacuum, creates too much static.

5. ema

ema Full Member

GAHHHH ><
    I really don't want to retire it for a new macbook--plus it's really just the fan problem.

Yeah, I was thinking of taking it apart but then someone said just canned air. I'm going to go google and see how it's done before I start...hmm

6. milquetoast

How is the dust affecting the laptop btw?

7. ema

ema Full Member

I really don't know...I think it's moreso just my abusing of my laptop :p
    I take it to bed and it's probably overheating since it's on my lap/blanket at times. And I block off the ventilation area so the fans might be going crazy just because of that. I haven't cleaned anything at all, so just thought I should since it's been 2 years and ish already ..yeah haha

8. damackz

damackz New Member

be careful i had trouble with mine

9. helpmhost

helpmhost New Member

10. tenshi888

tenshi888 Junior Member

I have a laptop tray with usb fan too, it helps but it can still get pretty hot...but i overwork my comp sometimes

11. ema

ema Full Member

the new unibody ones are a pain to use when they decide to freeze (which isn't often but still). Answering my own question, I could only clean part of the fan because i didn't want to take more screws out. i wish this was covered in AppleCare and we could just send it into them for a cleaning ...