Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Looking for opinions on my website and business

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jennifer, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Hi everyone!

I am really looking for some help here as I am totally stumped as to why I am getting very few sales from my website. I just want to start by saying that I am NOT using this to get more hits to my website....I really truly would appreciate some CONSTRUCTIVE critisism on my website, the products I offer and my prices from people who live in the Vancouver, BC area as this is my prime target area.

My website address is www.funwrappers.ca

My site receives quite a few hits from local residents....here are some stats for the last 30 days:

456 Visitors of which:
    338 were NEW visitors
    Total time spend 14h 33m
    Bounce rate 38% (Bounce rate is when a viewer visits your website and them leaves quickly)
    Even with the bounce rate at 38%, that still leaves 282 visitors perusing my website.

I have only received a few orders within the last 30 days and I am baffled as to why.....what am I doing wrong? Is my website that horrible? Or maybe my pricing is off, although my pricing is in line with my competitors (as few as there are in my area).

I would love to hear what others in my area think....please be kind, I've worked very hard at creating my website and my business.

Thank you :)

Jennifer

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

No one willing to give me their opinion or thoughts?? :'(

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Conversion rates are typically low, especially until you start moving up the Google search results page.

As for your site, it comes off as "just another generic wordpress theme" type of website and it's not immediately clear what products are you selling due to the lack of pictures on the main page.

Product navigation is inconvenient when subheadings are involved because a potential customer has to navigate through 2 pages to get to where they want to be.

Once they do get to the page, the images load very slowly. You need to resize and optimize them beforehand. Using client side image scaling slows things down considerably.

Ordering can be made easier with some kind of shopping cart and check out system.

Here is what I suggest:
    Get an e-commerce plugin for Wordpress such as:
    Skip Wordpress altogether and use a software platform specifically designed for e-commerce websites:
    There are other options besides Magento, but it's the product that gets the most praise due to its flexibility

Hope this helps :).

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Thank you Cheeseshredder for your great advise :)

I know what you are saying about the subheadings but I need to categorize my products so I am wondering if you have any suggestions so potential customers dont have to click too many times to get where they want to go? I dont know what else to do but to have subcategories....If I place them all in a category all on their own then there are too m any main headings along the top.

I will definitely check into your suggestions for my shopping cart/ordering process. I know I need to update that part I just havent been able to find one that works for my needs. I have never heard of the ones you sent so maybe one of the them will work :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

Jennifer

5. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Jennifer don't give up. Keep up the good work.

Vivek Golikeri likes this.
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Thank you Night of the Guardian :)

7. Jeff MacLeod

Jeff MacLeod New Member

I agree it does look a little bland due to the lack of pictures and what not. Most wordpress themes are. You do have wonderful products though. Perhaps put a few products on the front page as example of what you can do.

8. APReal

APReal Junior Member

Agree with put some products on the home page, and focus more on visual images.
    I wasn't sure exactly what your business was all about, and it should be obvious within the first few seconds.

I then started to look for something like "what is funwrappers" and couldn't find it. I likely would have left your site at that point had I not been looking from the feedback point of view.

The first few seconds are the most crucial to get results from new visitors, so I would tweak your first impression to be more direct and obvious. I think this would reduce your bounce rate quite a bit, as new visitors tend to be lazy and need results fast.

Maybe add a rotating feature box on the main page that scrolls through various product image and has text over them?
    Example on my site: www.vancouverpresales.com
    also built on wordpress

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Thank you APReal for your thoughts :)

I always wondered what those feature boxes were called and that is an excellent idea to create a rotating feature box on the home page. I am wondering if you are able to recommend a fairly easy website where I can create one that will also create an HTML code for me to imbed into my website?

Thanks!

Jennifer

10. APReal

APReal Junior Member

They come as part of the theme I use. It's called Platfrom by Pageline & is really good.
    I did buy their premium them though, don't recall if the free one allows for that.

That box is called a "Feature Slider". I'm sure if you want to continue using the theme you have, you can likely find a wordpress plugin that will add that sort of function to your site. I know next to nothing about coding or html, but find I can pretty much get every function I've wanted with wordpress plugins.

11. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Jennifer, I will visit your website and study it. Even if I don't want or can't afford what you'r selling, I will give you free word-of-mouth advertising. Meanwhile I welcome you to contact me privately, and we can network.

12. Bine

Bine Full Member

Vivek will help you as he is a well known author of children's books so he probably knows a lot of people media and in sales. I wouldn't listen to ghost though, as she only criticizes and berates posters.

13. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

:whistle: This thread has nothing to do with ghost and children's books.

14. Bine

Bine Full Member

No but ghost is unhelpful and Vivek seems to want to help. It sounds like Vivek knows some people in sales and marketing.

15. redalien0

redalien0 Guest

nice try, vivek

16. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Thanks. I am happy to help anyone so long as two conditions are fulfilled. One, that I myself determine that I can afford to do or give something. Two, that the receiver is appreciative and nice. But the moment anyone has the attitude that I owe them something, I tell them to get lost. "Get lost" is exactly what I told Ghost, because right or wrong nobody asked for her two cents.

17. ghost

ghost New Member

Yeah, Vivek and Bline sure sound like the same person.

In this case I would be unhelpful. My PR team deals with my websites.

18. ghost

ghost New Member

I see your book still isn't selling. No reviews either. Hmmm wonder why.

19. Bine

Bine Full Member

You see Jennifer this is exactly what I was saying - ghost will offer nothing other than belittlement and bragging about her "PR team" and what her sycophants offer her. She is "too big" and "important" to help you. That being said, she does have time to pile onto others with her heir of superiority. Mind you, would you really want help from a self-absorbed, loathsome troll? I think not as she views the posters on this forum as merely "shit on her shoes".

As I said early, ghost will offer you nothing other than a dose of her ego and snide remarks.

20. ghost

ghost New Member

Vivek has a self-published book on Amazon with no sales or reviews.

Just exactly how is he well known?