Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

LASIK? Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by White_Jeanne, Aug 1, 2016.

1. White_Jeanne

White_Jeanne New Member

I don't know if this qualifies to be here. But I'll go ahead anyway.
    Has anyone had LASIK done before? Is it worth the cost? Do I have any complications or side effects to worry about/look out for?
    I've been wearing contacts for the past few years but I've recently developed some sort of infections towards them. On top of that, I'm as blind as a bat without my lenses/glasses. As my job involves a lot of running around, I find glasses uncomfortable to work with. I've booked an appointment with the doc, but he's not available for another week and I'd like to go informed about my options. I was also wondering if there were other alternatives that I could try out. There seemed to be many articles talking about side effects of LASIK and I don't know up to what extent I should believe them.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, I'd be extremely grateful.

2. Bill

Bill Full Member

Some people love it without glasses. Some, however, complained about getting headaches. "Some people with poor outcomes from LASIK surgical procedures report a significantly reduced quality of life because of vision problems or physical pain associated with the surgery" - Wikipedia.

Long term effects unknown since this is a new technology. Lasik is less than 20 years old, around 15 years old. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the 20th year, 25th year, 30th year, etc. There is some risk involved, risk factor unknown and the person who opt Lasik will have to take the risk.

3. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

The reports I've seen online are mixed-however two people I know who had it done are more than Happy with how they feel now.

One thing someone said online-when you get it done make sure it's in the dark months he ended up sitting in a basement with sunglasses on for a week in July; that guy had some issues to start with/went with a cheaper option and now has regrets.