Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

IS THIS REAL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maple leaf, Aug 4, 2015.

1. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

America's horrible history?

2. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

Georgia Laramore • 3 years ago

I am a history buff. It took me three years to develope and complete a NW history project. My libirary has over one hundred fifty history books most about the Pacific Northwest. I live within five miles of the Oregon Trail and have been to most sites in Oregon. I have wandered through and maintained many old cemeteries. I've worked at a five acre National Historic Site in Salem Oregon. The Whitman Mission, , the Umatilla Indian Reservation,Battleground Mountain and now the new Frenchtown Historical site are short drives from my home.
    I grew up here in NE Oregon along the banks of the Columbia River. It was at one time the greates fisherie in the world. Ceilo Falls was the traditional home and a major trading area for hundreds of tribal people. I can follow Lewis and Clark's journals along the river for miles.

All my life, my sympathies have been with the Native Americans.

I hold in my hand a family ancestor chart which I have always been proud of. It showes members of the Knowles family after making the long voiage from europe living in New Hampshire, 1635,. They took part in the revolutionary war,the War of 1812 and the Civil War.

Somehow, in my mind MY ancestors would not have been involved in actions that resulted in theft of property, the loss of culture and the annihilation of a people.
    In the 1840's another branch of my family fled the starvation, religious persecution and loss of their lands in what was then Bohemia.
    They were able to escape to a new country.
    the Native Americans didn't have that option.
    Of all the people that should have recognized the plight of Native Americans
    as the same as theirs ,were MY people from Bohemia.
    But they were busy becoming Americans.
    The Walkers are Kansas farmers. The Knowles were Kansas business people.
    None subscribed to the popular thinking that it was America's Manifest
    Destiny to cross the country in wagons and claim the land from people who had lived here for centuries . But the land they lived on in Kansas had originally belonged to Native americans.
    We came west later, working for the Santa Fe and Union Pacific RR. Most of the dirty work here in the Pacific Northwest was already done. The few Native Americans left were on reservations.

Now I am faced with the fact that MY people,simply by immigrating to America, are as much to blame for the genocide, the culture rape and theft of property, as those who made the decisions or gave the orders.
    The statement that "I cannot be responsible for the actions of those who lived a couple of hundred years ago." applies here.
    But I am responsible for MY actions.
    It's time that MY generation , the Baby Boomers start taking more responsibility for the assault we have helped perpetuate against our plant,against other races and to our own culture.

3. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

All I know is China alway be accused by the US for having bad human rights record, I am so confused when I see this video.

4. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

Chinese nation has a continuous history & civilization started 5000 years ago, I always wonder why American continent only has 500 years of history to count, now I have the answer: the America actually have the same old history as Asia & Europe, but had been destroyed & buried deep under the ground.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

6. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i believe the americans are embedding "tracking" spyware into the electronics devices they're manufacturing as a way of waging a soft war against us ...

7. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

Maybe they want to show us what is "freedom" of thinking, speak & writing.;)

the mechanic likes this.
  8. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... nope. their government is malicious and wants to hurt us ...

9. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Wrong! Our government has no desire to hurt Canada, our closest kin. Mechanic, I resent this suggestion just as you were upset about that thread "Are Canadians Racist?"

10. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

I totally agree with you. US had no freedom of thinking & writing. I tried to post the same thread like "understanding what is going on in the world & with economy" on a New York forum, they delete all the pictures & videos about China I posted, because the US is too weak to see China's rise, they don't want to let americans know anything good about China, they only favors thread like "China's pollution" "Beijing's air quality" something like that, maybe that make them feel good. I posted that same thread here too, I know maybe some Canadians don't like that too, but at least we have freedom of thinking & writing & posting...thank God I didn't immigrate to the US, I choosed Canada, I am really blessed.

11. Vivek Golikeri

Madame, saying that the United States has no freedom of thinking or writing is like saying that Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have not even a drop of oil. True, there is a lot of hogwash in our media. Freedom gets misused. Yet I too am glad that you "choosed" Canada, as you put it. Enjoy Canada, and stay over there.

12. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

I am giving a fact, not an opinion, the fact is my own experience. I can only tell how I feel about US, and you can't change how I feel by what you feel about US. yes I will stay in Canada and maybe live in China for a few years, one thing I know for ture is I will never live in US, not even visit.

I go to Chinese website a lot. most Chinese don't like US in ally with Japan. there are 1.4 billion people out there anti-Japan, US really has been in wrong direction by supporting their WW2 enemy Japan, that is like you try to be enemy of 1.4 billion Chinese people, and that's why China turned to Russia. with China's money Russia will rise again, the Russians are good at military, they just need money to do what they are good at. if each Chinese donate just one dollar, that would be 1.4 billion dollars. US would have a hard time to win the war to 1.4 Chinese people ( if there would be a war between the 2 superpowers), and even harder to win China-Russia ally.

13. Vivek Golikeri

I don't think the US has any desire to fight China, Maple Leaf. We became allies with Japan after World War Two because (a) we had them under our occupation, and (b) their geopolitical location plus their fear of the nearby Soviet Union made them the perfect candidate. Initially, after Mao Tse-Tung took over, China became Russia's ally because of common ideology. However, that went sour, and the two at one point actually became adversaries.

Putin's hostility today is more in the Ukraine, not toward Japan. On the opposite side of Russia. I don't know how warm or cool China-Russia relations are right now. But I don't see Russia being either so with China or so against the USA as you seem to imply.

14. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

Chinese used to like US, but now most of young generation hate US because they hate Japan, US is the one behind Japan & support Japan. I don't want to judge it's right or wrong for Chinese being anti-Japan, I am just giving a fact.

15. Vivek Golikeri

I can understand the bitterness of older Chinese regarding Japan. Japan did obscenely criminal things in China during World War Two. But please give me information on how young people in today's China feel about Japan. After all, it has been seven decades. Hatred rarely stays fresh that long.