Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Is MS trying to make my computer a workstation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Dec 29, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

This seems like a computer sovereignty issue. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it's making me sign up for a Microsoft Account with my email address, before I am able to enable my email on my laptop. Maybe I don't want MS to have my email address....and what are they doing with Google? It used to be a search engine that anyone could use but now they want you to sign into a Google account, and they've got Google Mail and their own version of a global server like Apple's Cloud. What is up ? it seems like they are trying to take away the computer's own hard drive etc and make everything under MS control, turning my PC into nothing more than a workstation of their global server. I do not want MS to have it's fingers in my email or my computer's hard drive.

the mechanic likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Full Member

Yes...they are trying to take over your computer, just like all the other software companies/makers. Apple, Adobe, ec.

The Golden Age of Computers, where you could open up the hood, and muck around your 'hot rod', customize it are sure to come to an end soon.

Companies don't want you to own your own software either.

The only customizable options will soon be Linux, open source computing, and free, downloadable software.

Glad I enjoyed the Golden Age of unlimited end user freedom while it lasted.

The best years of computing are surely behind it.

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

If you're not paying for a service (Google, Facebook, etc.) then you are the product or at least the data they collect from you. You can use Google without having an account though.

4. Shrek

Shrek Junior Member

I don't have windows 8.1 but I am pretty sure there has to be a way to use it without the internet. There are many countries that still use computers without internet.

5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

It was pretty much the last straw for Win 8.1 for me this morning when I couldn't sleep and wanted to play Solitaire; which does not come with Windows 8.1. In order to get it guess what? I would have to sign in to Microsoft using my MS account to either play it there on their server or download it. ...why?

It sure feels like Im putting my computer on their server and linking to it with my Workstation, aka my computer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Back to Windows 7 then?