Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Discussion Inexpensive Camping equipment?

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussions' started by missfelicity, Aug 3, 2010.

1. missfelicity

missfelicity New Member

Hi, I'm coming to Vancouver in a couple of weeks - very excited! Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to buy camping equipment? I'm taking a white water rafting trip and need a single person tent - doesn't need to be fancy or anything since it's just for one night, and I'll give it away or resell it straight after - any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

We have a store called Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) here that carries a lot of reasonably priced but good quality items. This is their website: http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

You do need a membership to buy things, but it's only $5 (one time fee).

Although... If you're looking just for a very cheap budget tent, I'm sure most big retailers will carry one. I would check Canadian Tire, Zellers or Walmart.

3. an8165

an8165 New Member

Hi, I was also looking for the same details, thanks for the reply :) ..

4. missfelicity

missfelicity New Member

thanks - much appreciated!!

5. bbfat

bbfat New Member

You know what, surprisingly I came across really inexpensive tents at this dollar store in Richmond called the Dollar Smart. They carry really cheap imported tents for $20 - $50 dollars. But since this is a seasonal item, you better check fast to see whether these are still available.

Dollar Smart 99UP Store

100-4811 Hazelbridge Way,

Richmond, BC V6X 3K7

604-304-0977

6. milquetoast

^ For a second you got me excited for $1 tents lol.

7. o

o Junior Member

army and navy :)

8. milquetoast

Forgot about that. They have a website here: http://armyandnavy.ca/index.cfm

Word of warning though, the Vancouver location is in a shady area of town (DTES) if you're uncomfortable walking in that area. The New West location is by a skytrain station so it's not too hard to get to.

You May Also Like...

1. camping in kelowna by cram