Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students High school students buying grades at private schools

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by milquetoast, Jun 18, 2012.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/374595--passing-grades-for-failing-skills

Looks like it's finally happening here, I wonder if it has to do with lack of provincial exams :whistle:.

This is a HUGE problem back east and is a huge source of grade inflation. I don't agree with the premise of the article that students who buy marks to get into university will suffer later. You don't really need good English skills to make it through university because the competition for post-secondary is competitive enough that they reject people who can still make it through. The biggest barrier for people is admission. However, by unfairly earning inflated marks, they take up spots from rightfully deserving students.

The real problem with being able to buy grades at independent schools is that it fucks with the admission system and makes them even more unfair. Not everyone has the money or desire to pay for grades.

I can imagine secondary students getting caught in this dilemma:
    1. Take English 12 through the normal route, get maybe an 80%.
    2. Pay a couple grand and take English 12 at a private school, get a 95% without learning much.

The private colleges and schools that offer these courses are in it for profit.

2. disgruntled

disgruntled Guest

As of this year, the optional provincial exams aren't even offered anymore. They only have the mandatory ones, which are required for all students doing the regular graduation program: Math 10, Science 10, English 10, Social Studies 11, and English 12.

English 12 still has a mandatory provincial exam but it is not considered by the universities.

International students from Asia have always been scamming the system. When I was in school, people were paying others to take the LPI for them. Photo ID was checked but the invigilators usually couldn't tell the difference between Chinese people.

3. ema

ema Full Member

I attended a private school in Vancouver and this pisses me off to read because these students and their private school put a bad name on all other private schools. I attended a private school for the extra hours in the lab and smaller class sizes, I don't recall ever getting an easy A. Teachers would talk about bribery and bluntly say, "Try it and beware".

We were kept after class if our mark was below a B+ to ensure that we had the proper education.
    Fucking small private schools owned by people who just go OH I'M GOING TO OPEN UP A PRIVATE SCHOOL TO TARGET ESL KIDS have been letting these ESL kids buy their grades.

The more well known private schools are non-profit, I know it doesn't make sense.

I honestly think that all post-secondaries should have an entrance exam kind of like what Asian countries do so that it's more standardize. I took international exams so I didn't have the chance to cheat my way into university.

Shame on them.

4. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

You can buy anything with money.