Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Have You Ever Considered Running For Office?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Jul 20, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... the bar for being eligible to run for office isn't that high if toronto's last mayor is any example. having a thick skin and a charismatic personality seem to be the most important assets ...

... rob ford's tarnishing of politicians aside, have you ever considered getting involved in politics and running for a position? have you ever thought about putting yourself out there as a candidate for something? as a city councilor or the school board or as a union representative even? or have you run for office of some kind already?

... comments?

2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Rob Ford no more represents Toronto than Charles Manson represents California. My only critique of Canadian people in Toronto is that they voted that preposterous hippopotamus into office. Hopefully, the voters will not make that mistake.

I recall the poem I wrote in early 1995: "Toronto By The Waters Of Reflection." I had made a brief visit to Toronto in November 1994, seeking out a Canadian doctor who might have offered hope for my seriously diabetic mother. One month later, on December 19th, she passed away.

The poem implies that Toronto is to Canada what New York is to America. Toronto has been Canada's gem, just as New York was America's pride fifty or sixty years ago. But people allowed negativity to erode the Big Apple, and by the late 1970's New York City had become a nightmare. It is to be hoped and prayed that Torontonians will slam the brakes on corruption, crime, drugs, noise and reckless traffic. "Sorry! Canada will not repeat America's mistakes. Rather," I would like them to say, "we will learn from mistakes committed south of the border."

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thank you for your thoughtful reply, Vivek. in terms of morality, new york city was indeed a nightmare in the '70s and '80s. then rudy giuliani came along and cleaned things up. personally i would have liked to have seen times square and 42nd street at the height of the debauchery ...

... on a more personal note, i'm very sorry to hear of your mother's illness. how disappointing that things didn't work out for her with the doctor in ontario ...

4. Vivek Golikeri

Thank you for the kind words, Mechanic. Now, you were upset and hurt because you thought people were accusing Canada. Let me get one thing clear. Canada is among the sweetest countries on God's Earth, and were it not for the ghastly climate I would have requested to settle there. Also, don't get me started on how charming and gorgeous Canadian women can be. Mmm! Wouldn't mind one for a mate.

However, even the happiest of circumstances has its resident nincompoop or two. In Canadian race relations exist two breeds of nincompoop. One is the crud-headed white reactionary who thinks his kind descended from Heaven rather than migrated from Europe. The other is the ungrateful and self-willed immigrant with the attitude: "I'll do anything I please." Both need to be put in their place.

There are really no true Canadians save the First Nations. However, Canada is an established reality and it gave you a welcome. If you abuse that welcome, you are in the wrong place. Racism cuts both ways!

the mechanic likes this.
  5. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I have never considered running for office. I don't think I'd be very qualified. I think that you still need to have skills and experience in a leadership capacity and negotiations in order to get things accomplished.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. the mechanic

... very astute, Stuntman. you definitely would need to have leadership skills and be a people person, in fact those assets are probably more important than any education or work experience ...

... speaking of experience, i was intrigued to hear on the news recently that DONALD TRUMP attended NEW YORK MILITARY ACADEMY in his youth. that qualifies as military experience to me and greatly elevates his bid for the white house in my opinion ...

7. Vivek Golikeri

Hmm....let me think. I will run for the office of Lieutenant Cookie Monster. Sesame Street already has a full Cookie Monster, so maybe I can get the job of his assistant.

the mechanic likes this.
  8. Office clerk

Office clerk Guest

:) i run for office every day, and despite that I am always late.

Vivek Golikeri and the mechanic like this.