Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Guys, Would You Be More Likely To Hire A Pretty Girl?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Feb 24, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... guys, if you were in a hiring position and the applicant comes in all sexed-up, gorgeous, showing lots of T&A, would you be preferential to this person when you hired? would you allow this to happen? maybe it would be better for the position?

.. i wonder how the ladies feel about this issue?

... comments?

2. Joe

Joe Full Member

.....Possibly.

But it is more likely I d hire her for her brains than her looks.

Ultimately profit is the motive. If someone looks good but can't produce that's no help since even as the hiring manager, you're accountable to the balance sheet and probably some higher ups in the company. And if your hire is a dud, you'll probably get the axe too.

If it was for the purpose of work & getting the best person for the job, it'd most likely be a plain jane rather than a voluptuous diva. A rule of thumb - pretty girls are for play, while plain janes perform work that will pay (you) and fatten your wallet and let you keep your job or company going.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

No, and I'll explain why. I might start developing feelings for her if I'm with her day after day in the office. And then, it could become a sticky situation. If she does not appreciate my interest, she might sue for sexual harassment. If she does and we become an item, that interest might complicate the workplace relationship.

I'd rather check my hormones at the rack when I enter, along with my coat and my hat.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

... thanks for your replies, Joe and Vivek. two star posters! you are both the VERY definition of the high-caliber forum member! keep it up and don't ever leave!

5. Joe

Joe Full Member

mechanic, about the only time I'd hire a woman based on the kind of looks you've referred to is in marketing or outside sales.

The types you'd see at Trade Shows, with a pretty face, nice smile, nice bodily proportions, appealing and get the customers interested and talking about your products or services.

Usually, these 'good-time' girls are the types who break the ice for you, get customers in the door, yet usually they don't finalize a sale or contract.

I suppose when you've got the customers hitched, that's when you'd send in the heavy hitters to close or seal the deal.

It could possibly be you - the small business owner.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    the mechanic likes this.
  6. Bine

Bine Full Member

If all is equal, and there is a pretty girl up for the job and an ugly one, I will hire the pretty one.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... thanks for your input, Bine ...

... i guess this issue depends a lot on the individual doing the hiring. the heterosexual male lacking self-control might be more inclined to succumb to his libido as opposed to one who is more mature on these matters ...

... but then, as Joe stated, there are situations where beauty IS a factor. i mean, just turn on the television. it can't be any more obvious that there is a female beauty threshold that must be reached before you can get a job doing anything on TV ...

Bine likes this.
  8. Bine

Bine Full Member

It depends on the job I guess.

the mechanic likes this.
  9. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

It's funny because all the pharmaceutical sales reps that I've encountered are young good looking women. It definitely matters for sales and any position that requires dealing with the public.

Even for things where looks shouldn't matter, the bias is still there. It's been shown that tall people on average end up making more money and are judged more favourably during interviews compared to shorter people. Whether or not we like to admit it, our society and human minds are very much based on appearance.

the mechanic likes this.
  10. the mechanic

... outstanding points, milquetoast. in the town i live in it seems as though almost ALL cashier positions are filled by females which is a bias in itself ...

... thanks for your reply! :up:

11. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

If all else is equal, I'll hire the applicant who is a single mother with children to feed. She needs the job even more. While you cannot do business for humanitarian purposes, show compassion when affordable.

the mechanic likes this.