Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Generation Jobless - CBC Documentary

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by milquetoast, Feb 11, 2013.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What do you think this episode of Doc Zone? http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/generation-jobless.html

The premise is not new but I don't think the CBC documentary did a good job exploring the issues. I found that the documentary unintentionally paints the picture that Gen Y has and inflated sense of entitlements. They basically chose to interview a bunch of hipsters :facepalm:.

They did do a good job lightly highlighting the different issues:
    1. Gen Y has it tough in the job market, something not recognized by the spoiled baby boomer generation
    2. Baby boomers aren't retiring, making it very difficult to move up in the corporate world
    3. Everybody has a university degree nowadays
    4. Unpaid internships are a crock of shit and should be illegal

2. GenX

GenX Guest

As a 40-something Gen X-er, the things being said about today's youth are the same things that were being said about our generation (lazy, unmotivated etc). I certainly avoided physical work whenever possible and turned out just fine. Kids now have X-Box, we had Atari, they have cell phones, we had rotary dial, they have Macs and PC's, we had Vic 20's and Commodore 64's...not really much different in the big scheme of things. The biggest difference is we graduated college/university and were still able to walk into good, secure, unionized jobs with pensions and benefits if we chose to do so. This generation will not be as fortunate in that regard.