Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finances & Real Estate Fraudulent Landlord- Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John P, Aug 18, 2016.

1. John P

John P New Member

Hi folks,
    So this whole ordeal started in July when I got a "Notice of direct Proceeding" from the residential tenancy branch stating that my landlord had filed for an "order of possession" and "money order".

The money order was for $2300 for two months' unpaid rent (which is a lie because I have paid all of my rent until date). He also claimed that he had previously posted a "10 day notice to end tenancy" on my door. That was also a lie because I never saw it. I couldn't have seen it because I was on vacation at the time he claimed it was posted on my door. He simply filled out the form and used his wife's name as a witness to fast-track the process in his favor.

To cut this VERY long story short, he got the order of possession and money order, but luckily, I filed for a review (under the basis of fraud) within the 2-day window and I won. Now we have a court hearing next month.

My question is, is there any way I can get some monetary compensation for all that this horrible landlord did to me? Or at least give him some form of punishment. My evidence from the court hearing even includes a statement from his previous tenant who had a similar experience with him but were not so lucky. Everyone I've spoken to simply says the same thing, "If you win, tenancy continues". But that really doesn't sound right or don't you think so?

I'll appreciate any advice on this issue. If you need any more info about it, just let me know.