Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Filipino woman tried to scam me again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Of GuardianS, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

They roam the Metrotown bus stop station now. These filipinos will approach young men and women. This is not a racism thread. It's the truth. They are not a real charity or organization. They're only at the bus stop if there's no transit police. I wonder if Superchecker noticed these people. It's always filipinos. The white university students who approached me at Commercial Dr station were legit. Just saying. Very easy to tell who the scam artist are.

2. mission

mission Full Member

Seen these filipino scammers before. They also prey at Brentwood or Lougheed Mall. They have a card purporting a charitable organization. Comes with a complete phone number. But these filipinos are scammers, they are not registered with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as a registered charity and thus you cannot claim tax credit in your income tax return. Avoid these filipinos, not unless you want to give your money away.

You can check if the organization is a registered charity with the CRA at this link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html

Not only you can check if an organization is a registered charity, you can check if the organization is revoked, penalized or suspended. In the case of the filipinos, my gut feel is their organization cannot be found at the CRA web site which meant the organization is non-existent or fake.

A list of registered charitable organizations can be downloaded from the CRA site at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/dwnldng-eng.html

Or call CRA for information on a registered charitable organization at toll free 1-877-442-2899, or by sending an email to [email protected].

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... if the scam attempt happened in vancouver wouldn't the woman most likely be canadian? tell us why you believe she is a citizen of the philipines?

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

@mechanic: Filipino-Canadians.

@mission: this might not always work. In all of my encounters with them, they pretend to represent legit charities like World Vision and Red Cross. They'll even have fake ID badges from those organizations.

5. the mechanic

... the scam described is a vancouver scam, not a filipino scam ...

6. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Yes, but persons of Filipino ethnicity might very well predominate in this particular scam. No use screaming "racism" just because the accuser points to their ethnicity. If it's true, what can you do?

cheeseshredder likes this.
  7. stack

stack Junior Member

The post just said filipino woman and not Phillipines citizen. Citizenship is not an issue here.

The only people I've seen doing this charity scam are filipinos.

8. Vivek Golikeri

Listen. Not every white Canadian person who complains about immigration or ethnic politics is necessarily a bigot, you know. To be sure, you do get ignorant and racist persons. But there are many locals in Canada or the States who have no problem with immigrants like me, but have every right to be angry about those who abuse the country's welcome. Commit crimes, scam the welfare state, don't learn the language, demand special arrangements.

No-one is saying you should stop loving your past. But either fit in ----- or get out.

9. the mechanic

... who said anything about racism? the scam happened in vancouver, it's a vancouver scam. simple as that ...

10. Vivek Golikeri

No, you did not use the word "racism." But you seemed to have a problem with him mentioning their national origin. If Filipinos predominate in these scams, that's just the way it is.

11. the mechanic

... other than to disparage a group of people, please explain how the national origin is relevant ...

12. lumix

lumix Full Member

Interestingly, I have not seen them approach a caucasian, likely this is a scam.

13. Vivek Golikeri

How is mention of the national origin relevant? Well, if you're discussing the Mafia, you mention that is Italian by ethnicity and culture. Now that does not mean that ordinary Italians have anything to do with organized. That allegation would indeed be racism. But like it or not, the Mafia or Cosa Nostra happens to be Italian.

14. milquetoast

Because the scam is largely, if not completely, perpetrated by one ethnic group. It's worth mentioning because it's a relevant identifier.

15. the mechanic

... so you're saying that only filipinos scam people? i have a problem with that logic ...

16. lumix

lumix Full Member

It is indeed a relevant identifier, people now will be more cautious when a filipino approach them waving a card asking for donations.

17. milquetoast

No :confused:, reading comprehension man. This one particular scam is mostly done by filipinos, I didn't say all scams.

You are creating straw men arguments.

18. the mechanic

... now you're attacking italians! wow, this IS starting to sound like a racist thread ...

19. Vivek Golikeri

This poster is paranoid. He takes everything the wrong way, twists its meaning.

20. Happy

Happy Guest

Lets take YOU as an example: You are giving bad reputation to all mechanics, somebody can say all mechanics are dumb, uh oh! I am insulting all mechanics :D

cheeseshredder likes this.