Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

"feminine" itching

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Aug 8, 2013.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

these ads for creams that relieve "feminine itching" and "burning" make women believe that these symptoms are normal and that all they need is their cream to fix it. my first guess would be an std. but no mention in the ads to see your doctor or get tested for an std etc.

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Not that i trust the accuracy of std testing however, but woman need to consider this

3. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

Hope I'm not offending anyone, but this is bothering me too much; it's STI not STD.

"The term STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) is now commonly used in the place of STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease). STI is more encompassing, including infections that may be asymptomatic."
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/dc-ma/sti-its-eng.php

4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... thinking that a mere itch is a sexually transmitted disease is an overly alarmist reaction. there's no need to unduly worry yourself by going there. if you do have the problem try the product and see if it works. and even if it is an STD the itching product might still be sufficient to cure it!

5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

the creams are marketed towards women experiencing "itching and burning". this is not commonplace or normal. if women delay getting checked for std's and use the cream thinking that they're actually doing something helpful, they could just spread an infection to multiple partners. women, if you experience "itching and burning" see your doctor.

6. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... if you feel you're at risk of contracting an STD from a sexual partner and are experiencing symptoms then yes, one option is consulting a doctor ...

... the problem with your argument, flutterby, is that you're implying that all women who experience "feminine itching" have sexual intercourse which simply isn't a reasonable assumption. many women don't have sex ...