Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Fashion & Beauty Extending the shelf life of your razor cartridges and blades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Jul 14, 2010.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

So everybody knows how expensive razors are to replace once they get dull, I'm wondering if you have any tricks that you use to extend their useful life?

I've heard of a few meant for Gillette and Schick style cartridges and disposables, but they should apply to double edge safety blades too. I haven't tried any of these extensively so the difference seems minimal to me. Anyone else have any experiences... or enough patience to use the scientific method? :D

1. Use a blow dryer to completely dry off the blade to minimize corrosion which leads to dulling.
    2. Use an old pair of denim jeans and run your razor along it a few times prior to shaving (moving the razor using a motion opposite to the one you would while shaving, so an upward direction instead of a downward direction relative to your razor).
    3. Do the same thing as in number 2, but simply use the palm of your hand.

Methods 2-3 are clearly for realigning any indentations that develop on the blade edge, analogous to stropping with straight razors.

[​IMG]