Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Ever Changing Transit Conditions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superchecker, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

TransLink has a website, and on that website they try to keep the public well informed of the ever changing conditions that effect normal transit operations...

www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/Alerts.aspx?tab=0

As of this morning: Expect "minor" delays northbound on the Canada Line, and well as a weekend long detour in the #177 bus route...

They also offer twitter updates too, but I don't tweet....

www.translink.ca
    604-953-3333

2. LucyM11

LucyM11 Junior Member

I don't ride the Canada Line too much, but thanks for the warning. I'm lucky that I can get to my job on foot.

3. lumix

lumix Full Member

Nice of Translink to provide this alert service..

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

When I was in Halifax years ago now, they had speakers at the bus stops that would come on and notify people waiting at the stop of any delays or anything else. It was brilliant. No cellphone needed, no number to call or website to search. It was more than a little hilarious. I remember it in a dr. Seuss kinda way cause it did seem like a post was speaking to you. LOLOL

LucyM11 likes this.
  5. lumix

lumix Full Member

There were a few stops in Chinatown, Vancouver where there are LED panels on the bus stop. The panel will display when is the next arriving bus and I suppose it can also display service alerts. Translink should have this LED panels in major bus stops, not just Vancouver but Burnaby, New Westminster, Richmond, Coquitlam, Surrey etc. That 11 million dollars spent by the Liberals on the Bollywood show should have been spent on these LED panels.

6. Superchecker

TransLink got a Federal Grant to install those LED signs along the #3 Main/Downtown bus route... As part of some sort of Urban Transit Corridor Improvement....

7. Ike

Ike Guest

They used to have them at stops on Granville, Oak and Cambie but the system never worked properly so they abandoned it. If I remember correctly it was $80,000 for each bus stop.

8. Superchecker

You might be thinking of the old (Original) 98 B-line bus stops... Different system... Yes, those bus shelters and computer LED signs/system did cost $80,000 per shelter...

9. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

The updates and support from the Translink twitter are usually quite good. I don't tweet either, but I still follow them.

Those don't seem to work very well. They're either frozen or inaccurate compared to 33333. Real-time bus tracking has been godsend.