Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Donald Trump rocks the boat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vivek Golikeri, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I know this is a Canadian forum, but what happens next door in the States has impact on Canada. Magnate Donald Trump is now a presidential candidate, and in his classic brusque and aggressive manner he is ruffling feathers with his talk on the Mexican border. Some paint him as a racist fiend. Others love him as a hero who is saying what has infuriated and frustrated them for so long.

However, here is the key point. America is a totally different country today from the one which first elected Ronald Reagan. In Reagan's day Trump's rhetoric would have swept him to power in a landslide. But in today's multiracial and multicultural USA, his talk will rip open deep fissures and division in both society and the Republican Party.

In setting out to "save" the old version of America, Trump will bury it forever. I only hope that at some point, his rhetoric and tough guy attitude do not ignite a race war between Black America and White America.

2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... you don't like trump? the media sure nailed him for that rapist comment he said, but they seem to be giving him a second chance now. personally i'd like to see him as president just because it would make the position much more interesting than usual. plus, he's an outsider who isn't a career politician, which is very attractive, kind of like ross perot was. as well, he's of scottish heritage i understand which is also a very good thing. the scots are strong, level-headed people. further, he's not a lawyer. there are too many lawyers in politics and we all know that lawyers like stirring up trouble ...

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

The media is spending way too much time covering him. What it looks like to me is that he is playing the media. He is just saying anything he can to get attention and the media seems to be suckered in. Based on what he has said so far, I can't believe that he is actually a serious candidate for president. If I were voting in the election, I wouldn't even bother reading anything article about him because he does not strike me as serious candidate.

4. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I think he seriously intends to run. Unlike career politicians, he does not give a damn what too many people think. Trump openly says what many right-wingers bitterly feel. In so doing, he stirs up waves.