Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Do You Hear Things When You Dream?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i do. i hear things when i dream such as people speaking and i hear myself speaking too ...

... how about you? when you dream do you hear people talking? do you speak yourself? do you control what you say in dreams or does it seem to come out of your mouth on its own?

... curious if my dreams are the same as other people's. comments?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Since my head injury my dreams are really f*cked. There used to be some themes in my dreams but now theyre really absurd and unsettling for the most part....lacking congruence.

* what's with the 'draft saved' that faintly comes up now when im writing posts?

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thanks for your candid reply, flutterby ...

... my dreams are really messed up too: loud and vivid and intense. i have little doubt that they aren't real dreams but rather i'm being targeted with electromagnetic harassment weapons that cause them. one thing though. i've found that moving my radio into another room can help to alleviate the dreams. i suspect that radios can pick up the signals that are used to aggravate people ...

... thanks again for your comment, flutterby!

4. ForeignButNot

ForeignButNot Junior Member

Yes, I have had "hallucinations" while asleep or falling asleep, or even waking up. I blame it on sleep paralysis. Between the years of 2005-2007, when I'd wake up it would feel as if I was violently being thrown back into my body. This would often be accompanied by a weird high pitch frequency going into my ear *kind of like if you were listening to the radio and had difficuly tuning into the right station. Then there would be whispering or a man speaking that would feel as if he was pressed up against my ear. Anyhow, many people contribute these things to the paranormal, but a lot of scientific investigation has proven that these are classic symptoms of sleep paralysis- a disruption of REM sleep and muscle atonia. Apparently it's quite normal. I went through this phase for 2 years and thank God it disappeared.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... thanks for recounting your experience, ForeignButNot. fascinating indeed!

ForeignButNot likes this.
  6. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

When I dream, it feels like reality for the most part. I move around, talk to people, etc. The only real difference I notice when I dream is that whenever I'm running, I feel like I'm running in molasses. It seems to take so much effort to run. Walking feels normal.

A few times, I realised I was dreaming while still in the dream. I remember the first time it happened, I decided to experiment on what I could do. I decided to jump out of a window of a second story building. What happened was when I left my feet, my momentum just stopped and I just hovered over the spot I jumped from. I hovered for a few seconds and then I landed on my feet on the spot I was standing. Then I woke up.

A few other times, I realised I was in a dream and was able to fly. I decided to just fly from here to there and was able to do so. It was like I was Neo in the Matrix movies. I was flying all over the place like Superman.

One thing I noticed when I dream is that things I think about actually happen. For instance, if in a dream, I'm looking at traffic and start to think that there might be a crash, a crash happens. Most of the time, I don't realise I'm dreaming. When I do realise I'm dreaming, I'm able to make things I happen. It's a very interesting feeling. It's like you have super powers. The only thing is that most of the time, when I realise I'm dreaming I wake up shortly afterwards. I find I generally don't continue dreaming for long from the point I realise I'm dreaming.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. the mechanic

... good post, Stuntman. thanks for recounting your dream experiences to us ...

.... a lot of what you've described i've experienced in dreamland too. i've had so many crazy dreams. sometimes i encounter certain celebrities in my dreams, those of whom i'm a fan. on other occasions i've seen versions of movies in my dreams. for instance a few months ago i had a dream where i witnessed a sequel to the movie jaws. the movie was done like an adventure film with these children searching for sunken treasure amid the danger of the big great white shark ...

... anyway, i think what you've described is called lucid dreaming, Stuntman. thanks again for a fantastic post -- you really made me think about my own dreams ...

8. I hear farts but they are not mine :confused:

the mechanic likes this.
  9. ForeignButNot

ForeignButNot Junior Member

Oh, and for those suffering from sleep paralysis, check out the documentary "The Nightmare" on Netflix!

the mechanic likes this.