Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Dine Out Vancouver 2012-Maenam Review

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by ema, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ema

ema Full Member

Really late since the event has ended but hopefully it'll be useful for next year's Dine Out event.

I went to a few restaurants to try out for Vancouver's Dine Out event. Some restaurants were cheap with their menu and others were not. I was lucky this year to get good service and decent portions.
    Out of the restaurants I went to, I really enjoyed Maenam which is a small Thai restaurant on W. 4th. It is definitely overpriced on their regular menu but the dine out menu wasn't so bad.

$28 Menu for Dinner
    For 2 people you get:
    A soup to share
    An appetizer to share
    A curry to share
    A stir-fry to share
    And you each get your own dessert
    If you have 3 people then you get an extra stir-fry.

I had the Tom Kha Gai which was a lemon grass, coconut milk, tom yum soup with oyster mushrooms and chicken. They used chicken thigh meat and it was really good, I definitely would have just ordered the soup on its own.
    [​IMG]

For the appetizer, I had their Bamboo Blossom something salad, it was vegan apparently lol. This salad was good but I definitely wouldn't have ordered this if it wasn't because of "Trying new things." It mainly consisted of mint leaves, fried shallots, and bamboo..with lime vinegrette, I could have just made this at home honestly.
    [​IMG]

For stir-fry I ordered the squid and it was very salty. It definitely was good with the jasmine rice that they give you but it was far too salty.
    [​IMG]

For curry, I ordered the free range chicken curry and it was good, the sauce was great on rice. Forgot to take a photo of it lol.

DESSERT! I love this Thai Iced Tea Ice Cream and the Rice donuts are so yummy. I would rather just have the soup and dessert and call that a meal!
    [​IMG]

I heard from a friend that their menu doesn't change, it stays the same for Dine Out Vancouver. So yeah, give this restaurant a try!

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

The main looks smaller than the appetizers :S. I know the appies are shared and the entree is not but I hope their non-DOV portions are a lot larger.

3. ema

ema Full Member

Nope, their non-DOV are the same size. It actually comes with a huge bowl of jasmine rice.

I went with 3 people but we didn't finish, mind you...we're girls lol. I don't know if that makes a difference. It definitely is a pricier Thai restaurant but according to my Thai friend, it's authentic Thai not fake Thai.