Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Automotive Dash Cams - BlackVue DR400G-HD or DR380G-HD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Sep 11, 2012.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

UPDATE - If you're looking for the best bang for your buck rather than the top model dash cam, the DVR-027 for ~$60 is your best bet. It records in 720p and has proven to be reliable. Beware of fakes. The cheapest place to get it is on eBay. It's also available on dealextreme.

DVR-027 ($59.84) - eBay
    [​IMG]

If you're looking for a higher quality dash cam, consider the Itronics or BlackVue models that do 1080p.

Itronics ITB-100HB ($169.99) - eBay
    (cheaper, good video quality, so far no reliability issues)

[​IMG]

BlackVue DR400G-HD II ($269.90) - eBay
    (better appearance, great video quality and software but reliability issues)

[​IMG]

BlackVue DR500GW-HD WIFI ($298.61) - eBay

-------------------- ORIGINAL POST --------------------

Anyone know a cheap place to get high quality dash cams locally (including hardwire installation)? I'm mostly looking for the BlackVue DR400 II or DR380. The V2 version fixes overheating issues. They're made by a Korean company called Pittasoft.

Cheapest on eBay seems to be $189.50: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackVue-DR...rive-GPS-Recorder-FREE-SHIPPING-/251121133576

2. asr

asr New Member

William from www.artofspeedracingcanada.com is an authorized Blackvue distributor in Vancouver, BC, Canada
    S23union is their company name.
    Contact number is 7786285886.

[​IMG]

3. FROYO

FROYO Guest

sigh, having focus issues with my unit. too blurry to read license plates in front of me. their reputation is going down the drain... first overheating now focusing problems :mad:.

4. milquetoast

Yep, I am holding off due to all the buggy issues people are having. Shame because they're the best looking dash cameras on the market. I also wish they made a 1080p black one. The 400G attracts too much attention and I fear it's a target for theft. The 380G is much more discreet, but poor resolution. Need to be able to read them plates :down:.

5. Itronic

Itronic Guest

6. milquetoast

So much drama :rofl:. The new pricing scheme for the blackvues are ridiculously overpriced. Both blackboxmycar (BBMC) and ASR are selling them for over $300.

BTW: The "Season 2" version of the DR400G-HD reportedly still suffers from overheating problems in addition to all the other glitches. Teardowns reveal internals being pretty much identical to the first version. Turns out they just reduced the bitrate (means reduced video quality) to lower processor demand, but evidently that's not enough to solve the heat issue. I will look into the ITB-100HD, but I'm not a fan of the aesthetics :(.

7. hackvue

hackvue Guest

good products but new price scheme is NOT worth it. shame on greedy company, i am taking my business elsewhere. thank you for the tip on itronics.

8. milquetoast

New version coming with WiFi and improved heat venting: BlackVue DR500GW-HD
    [​IMG]

9. pittasuck

pittasuck Guest

imo anyone looking for a dashcam should just get the Itronics ITB-100HD on ebay for $180 usd. better video quality, cheaper, more reliable and the company doesn't treat their customers like shit.

there should be a new itronics coming out with wifi shortly. skip blackvue and their vancouver distributors which are all greedy and in bed with pittasoft. they just want to gouge customers.

10. blackbox

blackbox Guest

Ok so I've ordered my itronics cam off ebay and would like to run it on parking mode but i'm worried about messing with my car's electronics. anyone have alternatives to power magic pro?

i found something called Anypower T-Power C which seems to be a chargeable external battery pack. can't find any user reviews though but blackvue seems to recommend it. wouldn't want to spend $100 on something that's gonna explode and set my car on fire lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ANYPOWE...er-Supply-Car-Black-Box-Battery-/140825589211

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/tpower-c-battery-pack.html

11. milquetoast

The dash cam market is heating up... Here's another option that people were discussing on RFD: JAEWONCNC IROAD IONE-3800FU. Can't wait to see what other models are coming out, hopefully a nice 2 camera model?
    [​IMG]

12. milquetoast

Itronics pulled the the same move as Blackvue and cracked down on unauthorized eBay sellers. Now people in Canada/US have no way to even buy them :facepalm:.

13. DR500GW-HD

DR500GW-HD Guest

email libertykorea (at) daum (dot) net
    Shelley and John are still selling DR400G-HD II for $190 free shipping
    and the DR500GW-HD for $245 free shipping

they will send you paypal invoice. i found this info on a russian dash cam forum.

14. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Any smaller cams? If I install one of these it's so obvious that it's a camera. People will try to break into my car at night. Alarm will sound, but my window and/or lock would be damaged. The dash cam would be useless against thieves cause its facing the front. It's only useful against hit and runs and asshole drivers.

15. milquetoast

Hmm well they have ones that replace your rearview mirror, but you lose out on video quality, especially at night. On the plus side, they aren't that expensive. Here's the "Rearview Mirror DVR" for less than $60: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160838674538

The itronics and blackvue models are pretty small, you can put electrical tape on the LEDs and logos to make it more discreet. Some people also use plastidip. Below is a DR400G plastidipped to make it matte black.

[​IMG]

16. Night Of GuardianS

Thx for mentioning plastidip. I didn't know there's such thing. Watched some videos and people put this stuff on their rims. The next time I scrape my wheels badly I might just plastidip them.

I might order the DR400G HD II from that guy who provided the email above for $190. Not sure how reliable the seller is. I did almost rear ended a truck two weeks ago because his stop lights were out. Every time he break I didn't know. Had to try and keep my distance. Should be illegal for him to drive his truck without working lights.

17. milquetoast

I contacted the email listed above, apparently they also sell the Itronics for $200.

18. milquetoast

19. Night Of GuardianS

20. milquetoast

Some BlackVue batches are arriving with viruses. Pittasoft is aware of this issue. Supposedly, one of the computers in Korea that tests and cameras and writes the firmware is infected and they don't use an antivirus.

From my understanding both the unit and the microSD cards themselves get infected with Conficker or a trojan.