Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Entertainment Cineplex UltraAVX and D-Box - Gimmicks or Worth the Premium?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, May 6, 2012.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

With the Avengers out, I thought about trying out Cineplex's new gimmicky features, specifically D-Box and UltraAVX. Has anyone tried them?

UltraAVX is better sound and picture
    D-Box is motion simulator technology; essentially the seats move and rumble
    Both have seat reservations

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/D-Box.aspx
    http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/UltraAVX.aspx

Also, how early can you start taking advantage of the seat reservation (box office, not online)? Day of the showing?

2. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I saw avengers in ultra AVX 3D. It was worth every darn extinct penny.

3. ema

ema Full Member

Blah, they won't have it on the weekends. I think it's day of the showing since you can't buy the passes online.

4. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

That's weird. I was able to reserve my seats 4 days ahead. Maybe reserving days in advance is only for new to be released movies. Cause some people buy tickets but then days later they want a refund cause they changed their mind or can't make it anymore.

5. milquetoast

Tried out D-Box a few days ago, which was pretty cool. FYI: There is seat reservation with D-Box when you purchase your tickets.

Where Cineplex fails is the implementation and marketing:

1. The advertisements are confusing and unclear. They don't showcase the technology very well. Initially I had no clue wtf D-Box was. I had to google it after trying to find a good description on their webpage.

2. The website has no useful information on which showings have a D-Box option. A few weeks ago they had the showtimes listed for D-Box eligible movies, but it was not intuitive to navigate. Now, I can't even find it anymore.

3. It's pretty expensive at $8. If it was priced $5 instead, I think a lot more people would bite.

6. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

Hmm, did you watch it in 3D? I think they usually charge you $3 more to watch a movie in 3D. Maybe the D-box option was $5 + $3 for the glasses?

7. milquetoast

Cineplex now has D-Box seats in their AVX rooms so you don't have to decide one or the other, you can do both. It was well worth it for Guardians of the Galaxy. They've also improved their online reservation system.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I actually don't like 3D. I think it's a gimmick that loses its effectiveness 15 minutes into the movie. When I watch movies, I tend to avoid 3D. For everything else, I just look for the best movie time. I watched Interstellar in AVX the other day because it was at a time I wanted to watch the movie.

The reserved seating caught me by surprise. It was the first time I experienced reserved seating. It caught me by surprise. My wife and I went with a friend. Since my friend paid separately, he ended up seated a little ways away from my wife and me. I misread the row we were sitting on. I guess it would have been easier if we just bought 3 seats together.

milquetoast likes this.
  9. milquetoast

I don't like 3D either, makes everything dimmer. Riverport in Richmond will sometimes have screenings without 3D but it's hard to avoid.

Stuntman likes this.