Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Christy Clark's 12 Years of Chaos in Education

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, May 25, 2014.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... couldn't resist the media blitz, eh milquetoast?

... don't you see what's happening? it's as clear as water. the news media has a pact with the government to carpet bomb the public with propaganda like this phony teachers dispute. well let me propose this: let's agree to form a pact of our own in which we don't fall for the bait and say anything about it ...

... what do you think? are you game?

3. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

I don't agree with that! Not that anyone asked me but I thought I'd include my two cents!

I have so many friends that are teachers - and to hear what they have to say about the situation is just heart breaking. I think that it would be more difficult for anyone to really understand why the teachers are going on strike unless you have kids or friends/family who are teachers though.

A few complaints that I have heard:
    • Teachers just want more money
    • Teachers already get such long breaks in the Winter, Spring, and Summer and have short working hours
    • Teachers make well over $60,000 a year
    1. Yes, teachers are asking for a wage increase, but who wouldn't ask if they had the chance? Teacher's have had a 0% wage increase for years now. And besides, it's so much more than just asking for a raise!

2. I don't think people realize that teaching is a job that you can leave at work. Preparing, planning, writing report cards are just a few of the many things that teachers work on during their off time. teachers cannot do any of these things during school hours because they are teaching their students!

3. Some teachers make over $60,000 a year but the majority does not. Beginning teachers start at about $30,000 a year. Newly hired teachers usually start out as a Teacher-on-Call. On top of the inconsistent work schedule, a Teacher-on-Call earns less than what a beginning full time teacher would make in a day.

What I don't understand is why there are so many people who focus on these issues more so than the issues that really matter.

Thought I'd share this to help us better understand the perspective of teachers:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9876692

Stuntman likes this.