Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Chinese Signs Debated in Richmond, Activists Petition for More English!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Mar 15, 2013.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

So this topic (news article) is teeming with vitriol and it's unleashing a lot of hostility and ignorance. No doubt some people will use this issue as a scapegoat for their racism. What is your stance on it? Should businesses be forced to have a minimum amount of English on their signs and limit Chinese? What about French?

I think the activists are inflating how much of an issue the signs are. She uses a slippery slope argument saying that eventually they'll be no English left. That's ridiculous!

For me, the signs serve a function. They give people an idea of how well the staff inside speak English. Reality is that many business owners and restaurants have limited English abilities. While they will do their best to serve English-only patrons, it might not be a good experience due to the language barrier. If they mandate signage, we'll lose this valuable indicator.

Vancouver and Canada is a great place to live because of our ethnic enclaves and the byproducts of our mosaic multiculturalism (Richmond, Surrey, etc.). Our multiculturalism is surely more Canadian and valuable than being able to speak English, right?

Immigrants get a great deal of flack for "not integrating" and "not learning the native language", but what about all the expat communities and districts overseas which illustrate the same flaws? Is that not seen as a problem because English-speakers get some sort of exemption?

2. lumix

lumix Full Member

It didn't bother me, my take is, if they don't want my business, then be it.

If I am desperate to have that product or service, then I would use non-verbal language to communiate, otherwise I'll pass.

But if it is an essential service such as government, then it needs to be in the official language ie. English and French.

Thankfully, a lot of ethnic stores/restaurants I visit have English in their signage or they spoke in English. T&T is a very good example.

3. vancouverfun

vancouverfun Full Member

Every time I go to China Town or Richmond, I feel that those area they belong to Chinese people. I being treated like a foreigner in my own country :( and I find that Chinese business owners don't want to do business with a non Chinese guy like me.

I'm afraid that Canada will become the next Tibet or Mongol and one day I will become a slave for Chinese people in Canada .

4. These "activists" don't want to do business, they see chinese letters that they can't understand and it threatens them. They can't relate to it so now they're trying to get rid of it because of "racial harmony", an obvious euphemism for racist hate speech.

Every time I see" if you don't want to learn english, go back to china", my blood boils. It is not YOUR country, it is OUR country. We are just as Canadian as you are and we have had a large part in developing the wonderful cities that you live in. They are just as mine as they are yours.

If you don't want to be surrounded by chinese, don't go to a city that is rooted in chinese culture.

5. milquetoast

I think having some English would be a valid argument, but I agree, the activists definitely have ulterior motives and are blowing the issue out of proportion.

I am not impressed with how the media is reporting this. They are using biased angles and cropping to unfairly illustrate the "problem".

Take a look at this picture from the Vancouver Sun, the caption claims that the signage is all Chinese:
    [​IMG]

This is from Google Streetview, note how sea horse, furniture, mattress, pillows and household products are clearly visible:
    [​IMG]

Aren't there ethical guidelines against this sort of thing? I wouldn't be surprised if those companies sued.

Stuntman likes this.
  6. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

There are signs written in many different languages other than Chinese and English all over the Lower Mainland. No doubt that signs in these different languages meant to cater to a certain clientèle and/or to make such a business more "ethnic". I have never felt threatened by signs that I cannot read, nor do I feel threatened when people around me are speaking a language I do not understand. On social networks. Some of the people use a language other than English. Around Metro Vancouver, you are inevitably going to encounter signs, flyers, publications etc. in various languages. You will also encounter people speaking different languages.

“This is not cultural harmony because I have no idea what these signs, advertising and the real estate papers are saying."

I remember a couple of decades ago, some people made a fuss at U.B.C. because some workers at the cafeteria spoke a language that was not English and people who did not understand them was uncomfortable. They were afraid that these workers were saying something about them. I am concerned that this group who is opposed to the signage in Richmond have this same attitude with regard to people using languages other than this group understands. You cannot have cultural harmony if you are so suspicious of people of different ethic backgrounds.

cheeseshredder likes this.
  7. milquetoast

I missed that quote from the article. What a bunch of tools. Maybe Kerry Starchuk and Ann Merdinya think we should ban non-English newspaper publications too. Let's scrap OMNI TV while we're at it :rofl:. Mandatory English subtitles :rolleyes:!

Stuntman likes this.
  8. alex234

alex234 Guest

I would like to share my story, I am a permanent resident from 2 years now, I first landed in Toronto and by job reasons I am now living in Vancouver since 6 months ago, I being driving from all over around Metro Vancouver and I find a beautiful city with amazing surroundings, 2 weeks ago I visited Richmond Center (I think that's the name of the mall) and I felt really overwhelmed not by the Asian population but for all the Asian signs and characters all over Richmond, I'm a Mexican Engineer and I'm in Canada because I love the rest of mind and security that this great country can bring me and my wife and we are willing to give Canada back by understanding its culture, learning English and French and respecting ethnic diversity. In my visit to Richmond I just feel like a place I will never be accepted or belong. I wish Richmond government act and realize that even they are more than the 45% of the population, there are still another 55% out there NON Asian.

vancouverfun likes this.
  9. milquetoast

I googled Kerry Starchuk and found some interesting information. Apparently she's part of some anti-immigration groups and has been pushing the sign issue for years.

She was interviewed on CKNW last year where she was asked if Greek signs were a problem and she said that she didn't know how to answer that question.

It certainly paints a picture that she's simply a sinophobe. No wonder she feels threatened by the signs :facepalm:.

A snippet from her editorial 2 years ago:
    Her tumblr profile reveals the source of entitlement. Richmond today doesn't match her personal vision of what the city should be, so clearly it must be wrong and un-Canadian :whistle:.

10. milquetoast

Please enlighten me, what is so intimidating about the Asian language?

Do these local restaurants threaten you?

Les Faux Bourgeous
    [​IMG]

Ploeger Delikatessen
    [​IMG]

La Grotta Del Formaggio (yes, there's English at the bottom but it's much smaller than the Italian - oh no! :eek:)
    [​IMG]

11. wolf154

wolf154 Guest

official languages are for government purposes only. they should not dictate private and commercial matters.

12. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I would like to understand why you feel you would never be accepted. Have you been treated poorly in some way when you are there? You realise that people in Richmond who are Asian can speak English. French is much less common in Metro Vancouver regardless of whether or not people are Asian.

13. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

This picture in the Sun is taken from the back of the stores in Union Square. Obviously this angle was chosen because it has very little signage in English. If you look at the front side of these stores, you will find that about half the signage is in English.

14. lumix

lumix Full Member

Looks like the reporter from Richmond News choose not to report the fact that there were English wordings on the store after all.

15. lumix

lumix Full Member

This is not Taliban country, businesses decide what is best for their business..

16. colgate33

colgate33 Guest

Canada has two official languages, English and French. The sign should not be neither. Have you ever tried to find your way around Richmond? It's impossible if you aren't Chinese.

If you want to be Canadian, speak the national language...

vancouverfun likes this.
  17. The Truth

The Truth Guest

Chinese immigrants don't care about being Canadian. They are Canadian when it's convenient. They identify as Chinese and use Canada to educate their children, hide their corruption money and for political protection. They are Chinese first and have no nationalistic pride for Canada.

vancouverfun likes this.
  18. milquetoast

@colgate33, as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, official language refers to the language(s) used by government, not necessarily the one(s) used by citizens. I find the comments about adding French to the signs ridiculous. What relevance does French have here in Western Canada? Chinese is relevant because nearly half the population of Richmond (according to 2006 data) identify as Chinese.

PS: I do not read Chinese and I have no trouble navigating Richmond in terms of signage. Most places aren't strictly Chinese.

@The Truth, I agree that a subset of immigrants do come across that way but it's unfair to paint all Chinese immigrants like that especially when the group is so heterogeneous (HK, Mainland, TW, etc.)
    I'm surprised how much traction this topic has gotten since it instigated by intolerant anti-immigration zealots.

Here is a snippet from an article on Richmond News by Dr. Joe Greenholtz which I found very well written:

Night Of GuardianS and Stuntman like this.
  19. Big Six

Big Six Guest

i don't side with the protesters but important points are being raised. many mainlanders come here because they don't have to learn english and don't have to integrate. not all of course... but certainly a lot of them. to me that's not respecting the established culture of Canada.

being a cbc i've had new immigrants from china look down at me and talk behind my back because i do not speak mandarin. other cbcs or cantonese speakers can relate.

vancouverfun likes this.
  20. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

What? There's no McDonalds in Richmond? Can you not find Ikea? Or Richmond Centre?