Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Arts & Culture Carmen recital on January 8th in Vancouver - anyone fancy joining me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lebou, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lebou

lebou New Member

Hi - I'm new to Vancouver and have seen advertised a very reasonably priced recital of Carmen on January 8, 2011 @ 7:30pm

At the Canadian Memorial United Church
    15th and Burrard, Vancouver, BC

Would anyone care to join me as a group for this? Looking to make some friends and enjoy an evening as my first New Years resolution - "Make more effort to do stuff!!"

This looks like it should be a great performance with professionals at a bargain price ($22) and I've never seen Carmen although I wouldn't admit it in company! Please send me a message from here or see their website for more details of performers etc http://www.vancoco.ca Thanks, James.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Thanks for posting, the concept behind Vancouver Concert Opera Co-Operative (what a long name...) seems pretty cool. It looks like there's a student discount too, tickets are $16 which is a bargain.

Ever since Arts Club changed their Student Rush program, enjoying the arts in Vancouver has been ridiculously expensive so I seldom go.

3. lebou

lebou New Member

Exactly! "The arts" complain about dwindling attendances, yet prices are generally prohibitive!!! I was tempted to go and see both Billy Connolly and Grease recently until I saw the ticket prices!!

I thought this concert looked great value - especially considering that the performers, pianist, conductor etc are all "pro's" . . .

They all have international experience and acclaim too - see http://www.vancoco.ca/artists.html for details . . . and I'm really looking forward to it.

I only wish all my family were local as I would have bought them all tickets for Ukranian Christmas, and made it a get-together too . . .

Now, if I can get a total of 10 people to go, we can reserve seats too, so may I tempt you cheeseshredder?

4. lebou

lebou New Member

So, update, I have four people who are definitely coming to this Opera recital - and I'm looking for a few more - so, anyone else interested?

5. artsfreak

artsfreak New Member

Thanks for posting this information. I agree with Cheeseshredder that it looks like a bargain with VERY reasonable ticket prices... AND the artists involved all appear to be in-demand. The last Vancouver Opera performance I went to I was gouged $159 plus service charges!!! Can't do that all the time!!!!

I'm definitely interested in checking it out. Looks like they've even got some special pricing to entice early-birds.

Are you proposing some sort of gathering before/after... could be a nice way to, as you say... "do more stuff" and maybe meet some new and interesting people.

6. lebou

lebou New Member

Hiya!

Absolutely yes - we are thinking of meeting first for a drink, then maybe even grabbing a bite to eat after too.

I would love to get the group into double figures, do you have an idea how many folks you may be able to entice?

Cheers
    M

7. milquetoast

I appreciate the offer, but it's too far in advance for me to make a commitment. Plus, I'm not so sure about meeting up with strangers from the internet :p. Do let me know how everything goes though.

8. milquetoast

They're giving a 20% discount if you sign up for their email list. http://www.vancoco.ca/friends.html

Also thought I'd repost the information from the site for easy reading:

Vancouver Concert Opera Co-Operative proudly presents Bizet's Carmen
    Canadian Memorial United
    15th & Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC
    January 8, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Conductor - Rosemary Thomson (Resident Artistic Director - Okanagan Symphony Orchestra)
    Repetiteur - Kinza Tyrrell Head Repetiteur - Vancouver Opera)

Featuring:
    Carmen - Natalie Burdeny (Canada)
    Don Jose - John Arsenault (Canada)
    Escamillo - Andrew Greenwood (Canada)
    Micaela - Arianna Sovernigo (Canada)
    Morales/Zuniga - Damjan Poposki (Macedonia)
    Frasquita - Kathleen Morrison (Canada)
    Mercedes - Jeanine Fynn (Canada)
    Le Dancaïre - Ed Moran (Canada)
    Le Remendado - Paul Just (Canada)

Tickets
    For your convenience, tickets for the January 8, 2011 production of Bizet's Carmen are currently available for purchase via PayPal. http://www.vancoco.ca/tickets.html

We accept payment using your PayPal account or Credit Card. All online transactions are encrypted and secure for your peace of mind. Please note that a new browser window will open when you add an item to your cart. To add multiple items, simply click on the "Continue Shopping" button located in the bottom left hand corner of your cart. Quantity can be adjusted directly in your cart prior to proceeding to checkout.

Pre-purchased Will Call tickets will be available at the door on the night of the performance. For those who prefer a paper ticket you may purchase an eTicket. If you opt for an eTicket you will receive a personalized electronic ticket via email that can be printed and used for admission on the day of the concert; a great option for stocking stuffers!

ADULT - Will Call - $22
    ADULT - eTicket - $22 (+ $2 Handling)
    ADULT 2 Pack - Will Call - $39.50 (10% Savings)
    STUDENT/SENIOR - Will Call - $16
    STUDENT/SENIOR - eTicket - $16 (+ $2 Handling)

[​IMG]