Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Car Exhaust Toxins..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Feb 27, 2017.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

" Diesel emissions contain nitrogen oxide gases and carbon particles, the smallest of which contribute to lung and heart disease. Increases in airborne fine particulate matter increases the risk for myocardial infarctions, strokes and heart failure. Particle deposition in the lungs activates the sympathetic nervous system and triggers the release of systemic pro-inflammatory responses."

Exposure to benzene can cause cancer, especially leukemias and lymphomas. Benzene has a suppressive effect on bone marrow and it impairs blood cell maturation and amplification.

The best method of cleaning diesel exhaust is Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) which converts oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions into benign nitrogen gas and water. SCR can deliver near-zero emissions of NOx."

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... good post. i often worry about the fumes i'm breathing in when vehicles pass me on the road when i'm riding my bike because when you're cycling you're really sucking the air in deep. not nearly as bad here as the city though ...

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

"Hydrocarbons react in the presence of nitrogen oxides and sunlight to form ground-level ozone, a major component of smog. Ozone irritates the eyes, nose, throat and damages the lungs. A number of exhaust hydrocarbons are also toxic, some with the potential to cause cancer."