Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Canadian Flag: Represents The Nation? Or The Government?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Jul 1, 2012.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... americans from many walks of life embrace the american flag as a sign of non-partisan patriotism regardless of their feelings for the government. the american flag can be used commercially and it often is, yet it doesn't usually mean an affiliation with the government ...

... is it the same with the canadian flag? is the canadian flag a symbol of cool and freedom like the stars and stripes? or is the canadian flag a symbol of the corrupt, failed canadian political regime that's been around for over a century now and should be leaving?

2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Being not a part of Canada, I refrain from opining what its flag should be. But to express private feelings, I feel a tenderness when I see that red-and-white maple leaf flag. A sweet, peaceful country right next door to ours. At one time half my extended family lived in Canada. Clean, safe, polite....I loved what I saw in Canada. I'm all for that flag.

3. MikeGillis33

MikeGillis33 Junior Member

I agree with Vivek, it's too simple to over think.