Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Canadian Day of Solidarity on July 17, 2010

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mon, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mon

mon New Member

Canadian Day of Solidarity on July 17,, 2010

As many of you probably know that the G20 summit was held in Toronto two weeks ago. I’m not sure what the Vancouver media covered but I’m assuming that it was similar with what we saw here in Toronto. None of the people who utilized the “Black Blocs” tactic was arrested and the police left the police car on fire for two hours without intervention. Everyone around the burned police car was arrested EXCEPT for the arsonists. What does that tell you? Obviously it was the police’s tactic to create moral panic to shift attention from the capitalism and globalization of G20. I’m not going to go into the G20 global issue but civil liberties were denied because the federal government want to make its people to believe that the billion they spend on security measure was ‘necessary’. During the G20 summit, thousands of people were arrested. Many of the arrested individuals were bystanders, walking their dog, on their way work or home or peacefully protested. While in this “temporary detention center”, they were denied access to the telephone, lawyer, and even basic needs such as water and food. Detained women had to beg the police for feminine hygiene products and were denied and getting laugh at by the police. Now, as a Canadian who wants civil liberties, it’s time to stand up and join one of the national rallies that will be held on Saturday, July 17, 2010:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=139227296091761&ref=nf

Or please at least sign the petition for Bill Blair, chief of Toronto Police Service, to be removed from his office for allowing police to abuse their power. Police are supposes to serve and protect us, not intimidate us!

http://chiefblair.resignnow.ca/

2. ema

ema Full Member

Wait what? So they didn't arrest the arsonists...could you link me to a source please?

3. mon

mon New Member