Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

can erotica be feminist at the same time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vivek Golikeri, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Women's Lib in the 1970's often railed against the sexual exploitation of women, and one can understand why. Culture and advertising in those days presented women as sweet little bimbos or pretty dolls. Terms like "chicks" or "babes" were as demeaning to the child-bearing sex as terms like "colored" or "boy" patronize black people. Often, feminists went too far by burning bras, condemning all chivalry as sexist, and finding fault with almost anything.

All revolutions tend to swing to extremes before they settle down to a new equilibrium. Women today seem far more comfortable with my old-fashioned gentlemanly manners than in my day. Yet when I told a friend that I had completed a book of science fiction erotica that I would upload to Amazon's Kindle, he seemed skeptical that an author can be both erotic and pro-feminist at once.

On Saturday, 21st April 2018, my computer tech uploaded my book, Domina World, to the Kindle. It tells of female energy beings, known either as femforces or as energesses, with magical powers like those of Alladin's Genie. These beings need passion and adoration the way mortals need food. So they come to Earth, assume human form, and indulge in dalliances with mortal males. Either they take men as pets, or they set up mortal women as proxy partners and absorb energy from their dalliances.

The key in my fiction is that, without exception, these femforces are always the boss in their relationships. They behave like queens or goddesses toward their mortal men. This is exactly why I called the feature Domina World because although they are not dominatrixes in the literal sense, everything that these energesses do is done with a demeanor of authority.

I now solicit responses from both male and female posters. Guys, do you find power or authority sexy in women? I do. Ladies, do you enjoy the idea of literary fiction showing females in charge, and might you identify with these power beings? Generally boys fantasize about being Superman, whereas girls fantasize about being princesses or queens. Were I given the choice, I would rather become a super-powered hero than become a king.

2. What you described is feminism I can get behind.

The #MeToo movement? I can't get behind that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2019
  3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... please grace us with a link to your latest publishing masterpiece, Vivek!

4. Vivek Golikeri

Just type "Amazon books" on your computer. When you get there, type in "Vivek Golikeri," and the two books I have uploaded to the Kindle will come up.

I don't want to discuss my own creations explicitly, or the forum mods might consider it unethically taking free advertising. I want to discuss, instead, the general issues and themes my book is rooted in. I would be very grateful if you bought and read it, then gave me word of mouth advertising. Yet what I really want other posters to discuss here on Forum Vancouver is: Can feminism and erotica get along with each other?

5. Vivek Golikeri

In the past, when women were presented as bimbos and playthings, the anger of feminists was understandable. But erotica or sexuality are not enemies of women's rights. Sexist roles and attitudes are. By presenting females as leaders, queens and demi-goddesses, I might actually be helping feminism.

6. Jatt

Jatt Guest

Vg is a gropist:confused:

7. Vivek Golikeri

We are all "gropists," male and female. We all have sexual desires and would not be human otherwise. What does separate persons is self-control, and the ability to respect the dignity of others. If you touch someone with consent, that is affection or passion. Against their will, it is molestation. One does not need to be Albert Einstein to understand this vital difference.