Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Balilicious-Modern Indonesian Restaurant

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by ema, May 4, 2013.

1. ema

ema Full Member

There aren't that many, barely any...Indonesian restaurants in Vancouver. Originally, I wanted to try Sweet Chili Cafe but found out that they have closed. After looking at reviews from Yelp and UrbanSpoon, I decided to try Balilicious on Cambie. Dragged the only Indonesian person I knew to tag along with me too and had her order the food.

3488 Cambie St.
    604 709 8150

Restaurant setting: It's a really small restaurant and probably can only seat around 25 people? Reservations are encouraged on the weekend, even on a weekday if it's more than 2 people.

Hours: They are opened only for dinner from Tuesday to Sunday (5:30pm to closing...), they close on Mondays though

Drinks: I only had their virgin drinks but I highly recommend the Bali shake (pineapple+coconut shake w/ coconut flakes), it was really good and you could smell and taste the pineapple

Food: I wish the portions were bigger and I was kind of expecting a bigger portion since I've left Thai restaurants full but with Balilicious, I didn't really.

Nasi Goreng (Fried rice)
    This was ok, I wasn't amazed by it and apparently you're not suppose to break the sunny sided up fried egg into your rice. You're suppose to eat it separately and Nasi Goreng is mainly a breakfast item not a dinner/lunch. It came with shrimp chips which I didn't really care for... it was nothing special.
    [​IMG]

Tempeh Kecap Manis (Tempeh fried in sweet soy sauce)
    [​IMG]
    It was my first time trying tempeh so I really liked it. I'll definitely come back to tried it with their sambal chili. Tempeh tasted like potato, dense yam/potato like. I liked it.

Mee Goreng (fried noodles w/ drumstick)
    [​IMG]
    I loved this! We had everything made mild but I forgot why I asked for it mild, it was a nice blend of flavours. It was more of a sweet soy sauce fried noodles, but the drumstick was really crispy and full of flavour. It went great with the noodles.

Dessert:
    Pandan crepe w/ shredded coconut
    I didn't like this as much, there were also crushed peanuts in the shredded coconut and I felt that it was a little too dry. My friend also said that it's better back at home. It smelled good but the pandan crepe didn't have any pandan flavouring to it..
    [​IMG]

Indonesian crepe w/ chocolate
    My friend raved about this and she said it's a crepe but it's more of a cake. I really liked it, it was filled with nutella and chocolate sprinkles and bananas. Mostly, the cake was very vanilla like and moist and was sponge like too. Definitely, something to try!
    [​IMG]