Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Bad batch of MDMA contaminated with PMMA going around BC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MDMA, Jul 23, 2013.

1. MDMA

MDMA Guest

Harm reduction announcement:

I'm working at the provincial toxicology lab, and we just confirmed a death in Vancouver caused by PMMA. There was a cluster of these back in 2011 in both BC and Alberta, which you may have heard about in the media, but this is the first one in about a year and a half. This might mean that a new batch of MDMA laced with PMMA has hit town.

In case you're not familiar with PMMA: it's a molecule closely related to MDMA, but with much less of the desired empathogenic/euphoric effect, and unfortunately quite a bit more toxicity. The dose curve is a lot steeper, and the effects are delayed compared to MDMA. Often what has happened in these fatalities is that somebody takes one or two pills, and doesn't get the expected effect, so takes more, and that's enough to push them over into the toxic range.

The toxicity looks basically the same as an overdose of MDMA, causing serotonin syndrome. Symptoms might include: -Fast heart beat -Overheating -Excessive sweating -Shivering -Headache -Involuntary twitching of the legs -Twitching of the eyeballs (here's an example: ) -Confusion and agitation, eventually leading to unconsciousness

If you see someone who looks like they have these symptoms, get them medical attention immediately! In the meantime, try to cool them down, and give them some water if they can still drink.

It's important to mention that the recent deaths have been caused by PMMA mixed with MDMA, not PMMA alone. This means that pill testing kits (from Dancesafe, etc.) can't pick them up! They will show a normal purple/black reaction because of the MDMA mixed in.

I know some of this is a bit technical, so if any of you have questions, feel free to send me a message!

Be safe out there!

the mechanic likes this.
  2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

although i appreciate that you are trying to warn people, i cannot understand why you wouldn't use common language so people can understand. are you talking about ecstasy? what is the street name for this drug you're talking about? have you gone to the media with this important information?

the mechanic likes this.
  3. garth

garth Guest

I appreciate the warning. Is there any way of knowing that you are getting real MDMA and not something laced with PMMA?

the mechanic likes this.