Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Anyone Make Kimchi?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Jul 26, 2015.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

So it's a Korean fermented cabbage dish. My question is: it's starting to smell strongly of chlorine. Is this because the salt breaks down during the fermenting process ie. NaCl?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I need to better understand the chemical process during lacto fermentation. So you use a lot of salt, but with fermentation it is no longer very salty to taste. So clearly the salt undergoes a chemical transformation. And the smell of chlorine is very strong....

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i googled this dish and looked at some photos. looks delicious, flutterby!

4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

aw yeah.... Manchi has a great video that i watch a lot. She is so brusque with her knife handling skills - amazing. But she rinses her cabbage 3 times after salting which i didn't do so mine was too salty. It's a lot of work but the store bought stuff uses too much sugar. You must try Kimchi if you've never had it Mechanic. Save on sells it here in little red jars. But i don't know if I trust the hygiene of the stuff they sell.

5. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

she's got quite a world following. You gotta love the Korean battle drumming music in the background.....hahah. She's adorable.

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Where to get the fucking red pepper flakes though....ugh.

7. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member