Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Adult friendships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Aug 26, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

This is a way complex issue and there are many mitigating factors:

- most adults are too stretched with their kids, spouse, work to have more than a couple close friends
    - working for a living means relocating away from friends is not a choice
    - different morals and religious convictions can separate adults who were friends in youth
    - adults tend to have friends in similar financial " class"

Then again, having friends who are very different from you can be a great blessing and window on the world

Thoughts?

the mechanic likes this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i found it easier to make friends in elementary and high school than i do now as an adult. i wonder if that's common?

3. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

I would think so. At that age a lot of kids are still trying to figure out their own identities. And usually they do that by being around people that they think are similar to them? That, and the fact that as a student, you're surrounded by your peers for at least 10 months, 5 days a week.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... yes, that exactly right. you put it into words perfectly, honeycomb! :up:

honeycomb likes this.
  5. kwik003

kwik003 New Member

Yes, It's easy to make adult friend in school time. I will agree with both comment.

6. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Not in my case. I make really great friendships here in Florida. But when I lived in the New Jersey-New York area social attitudes were so cruddy. Most people just didn't want to talk to you. I wonder if it's a metropolitan versus small community thing. In 1998, when I visited family in New Delhi, India, it was the same nastiness as New York. People were so cold, distant ----- unless they knew your relatives, and then they were warm.

I guess it has something to do with what kind of community you live in. If you guys lived in small town in Sasketchwan, you might have had a whole gaggle of chums.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. Reply

Reply Guest

Its easy just be friendly and don't get too touchy<3

8. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

My brother asked me several years ago if I ever missed New Jersey. I replied that I felt just the opposite, that I wish we had moved to Florida a decade earlier when Mom was still alive. She would have enjoyed it. Mom was so tiny, cute, chubby and cuddly. She was a sweet angel, and felt like a teddy bear when we hugged her.

9. May102014

May102014 New Member

Hmm. I don't have many problems becoming friends with people in my age range. I'm 28 and I typically befriend people who are a decade older than me. I don't know why but even as a teenager, I gravitated toward people who were older than myself. The only people I talk to in my age range are my boyfriend and 2 friends I've known since 7th grade and my freshmen year in college. I have 3 friends who are located in Germany, Philippines and China and they are all younger than me by 4 and 5 years. The downside to my friendships with older people is losing them. By losing them I mean to death due to an illness. This happened last year with a great friend I had since I was 19. She was 53 at the time of her death from cancer and I still think about her everyday because she was one of my closest friends. About 7 years before her passing, she lost her husband and he was a great friend to me as well.