Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

2 NYPD officers shot execution-style in revenge killing by Ismaaiyl Brinsley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Dec 20, 2014.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were sitting in their patrol car in Brooklyn. They were in full uniform when they were murdered by Ismaaiyl Brinsley. The suspect was pursued by police before shooting himself in the head. Brinsley also shot his ex-girlfriend earlier in the morning.

Officer Liu just got married in October 2014.

The killer posted about his misguided plans to avenge Eric Garner and Michael Brown on instagram under the handle dontrunup. It's unclear if someone warned the authorities over his posts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

In addition to being recently married, NYPD officer Wenjian Liu was not supposed to be on duty the shift he was murdered. He volunteered to work an extra shift and fill in for another cop who was running late.

Rafaeal Ramos was set to graduate from a volunteer church chaplain program the day he was killed.

[​IMG]

From Rafael Ramos' son:
    [​IMG]

The scene after the shooting:

3. Noah

Noah New Member

I believe I heard this shooter also killed or attacked his girlfriend before attacking these police.

I read a while ago about the supposed lack of normal suicide rates among adult black males. However, one researcher suggested that the method of suicide for blacks may just not be the same as for less oppressed groups. E.g. whereas privileged classes commit suicide by gun, overdose or asphyxiation, black males may commit suicide by cop. This makes the actual suicide rate seem artificially low since it looks like an attempted homicide.

As I imagine people did in the first and second world war, if you're sick of your life in service, just stick your head out of the fox hole waving a gun and some crack shot will put you out of your misery.

Anyhow, in this case the perp did take their own life. But I feel like, considering the domestic event, that the police violence was an auxiliary event to whatever else was going on.

There's no reason to explain away or justify anti-cop violence this way, though. The racist history of the US has, at best, only been slowly deflating, and any revenge acts kind of seem expected. While these police were innocent, so are many blacks that die daily at the hands of a highly militarized and unaccountable police force. Those blacks not "innocent" can trace their involvement in crime back to structural violence of the present and past, putting them in dire economic circumstance and feeling even greater fear and resentment of white, racist institutions.

Like any war, the deaths that happen all individually a tragedy and the factors behind them bigger than the actions of the individuals involved.

There has to be an end to the race war. A reduction of incarcerations, minimum sentences, death penalties, grand juries,racial profiling, stop and frisk, religious profiling and so on. And lastly the media needs to stop taking sides, which they do by presenting blacks as aggressors and thugs and police as heroes.

milquetoast likes this.